Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to disassemble 55B torque converter?

MrSAW ยท 2015-08-14 17:55

I have a 55 B Michigan. I need to know how to disassemble the torque converter from the Bellhousing. I have removed the bellhousing with the gears still in it, to replace the fiber gear. Why I want to check the to check the torque converter is because I would drive it in 3rd at half to 3/4 throttle for 10-15 minutes to get diesel. the converter temp would go far into the red. I changed the fluids and filters. That helped a little bit. The other part is when its cold outside the loadee would take 1-3 hours to just start moving, then about 30-45 minutes of slow moving to run normal. I had the bottom of the loader completely blocked off with a heat source under it all night. That still did not help. With all of that said what would cause that?

Replies6
  1. #1oldseabee2015-08-17 01:23

    Sounds more like charge pump problem, or clogged screen in the bottom of the trans., or bad suction hose to the charge pump, or clogged oil cooler in the bottom of the rad. IM me your address I can copy the shop manual on the convertor, just pay copy bill and postage. Regards Bill

  2. #2MrSAW2015-08-17 11:11

    I have a 2 part question for you. 1st would the charge pump cause the converter to go sky high in temperature? 2nd I know it sounds stupid but which pump is the charge pump and where's it located at?

  3. #3oldseabee2015-08-17 13:47

    1. The converter generates a lot of heat and depends on a certain amount of oil flow through the oil cooler in the bottom of the transmission to dissipate all that heat, if the charge pump is weak it won't provide that amount of flow. If the charge pump is good but sucking air or can't get enough oil to do it's job, same result. if the trans is low on oil, same result. 2. There should be two pumps on the back of the convertor, one will get oil from the hydraulic tank and supply the main control valve, the other gets oil from the transmission sump to feed the transmission and convertor, that will be the charge pump.

  4. #4Ryan1512015-08-20 22:49

    since you are that far in I would still check the tc. but oldseabee is very good he helped me figure mine out!

  5. #5mourafetis2015-08-21 06:09

    Oldseabee has it right. You should check the pump first, it is the easiest thing to do and most popular reason for such symptoms. Just a correction... The machine has 3 pumps. 2 of them should be identical and draw oil from the hydralic tank, one suppling the main hydraulic control valve and one the steering valve. The 3rd pump is the one you are after, that is taking oil from the transmission and sens it to the transmission filters. It is the only one that uses "threaded" hoses! IF you have the converter down already it is easy to dismantle, but you should have someone more experienced to check it out, especially the piston rings and their seats...

  6. #6oldseabee2015-08-21 17:12

    Sorry about missing the 3rd pump. I spend 90% of my time online dealing with skidders, they only have two pumps.