Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to do a Long term storage of Heavy equipment 3 – 9 months between use

Papa John ยท 2012-03-12 06:13

Hi all Was wondering what should be done to store a Komatsu Track loader for storage of several months at a time. my machine is in Tennessee Reside in Pa trips south are starting to come a bit longer in between uses and was wonder how to store a machine for this type of use help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Replies5
  1. #1boone2012-03-14 17:39

    Additive to your fuel to keep from going stale or freezing. A full tank might also prevent condensation. Make sure you have correct amount of anti-freeze in your coolant. If you're going 6-9 months I'd be tempted to take the battery's out or at least disconnect them. If you notice rodents snacking on your machine, put out rat poison next to those tasty wires and seat cushions - of course being mindful of any nearby pets. It'd be nice if you had a trusty neighbor who could crank it for you and cycle the hydraulics every month or so.

  2. #2drs10232012-03-27 09:27

    Non-use is one of the biggest culprits for heavy equipment. I park my JD 450 for months at a time, then usually find that something had eroded when I need it again. Simple things like condensation in the fuel, settlings in the fuel filter, battery loses power, or need to clean the battery terminals, rats chewed the wires to the starter, etc.

  3. #3Nige2012-03-27 10:38

    PM me with an e-mail address. I think I have a document that might just help you.

  4. #4Papa John2012-03-27 15:16

    thanks I just did

  5. #5Nige2012-03-27 15:48

    and you have mail ..........