Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What oil to use????

dirtfarmer ยท 2012-03-04 12:11

Cat 963- what oil do i need to put in the gearcase that is right on the back of the engine and before the hydrostat?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2012-03-04 15:12

    If you mean the hydrostatic pump drive it takes 10W hydraulic oil, the same as the hydraulic system.

  2. #2dirtfarmer2012-03-05 07:52

    Thanks. One dealer said to use 10W engine oil and another dealer said to use the 10W hydraulic oil like you stated. The only thing that they agreed on was the capacity lol. So in short, you run the same oil in everything( hydrostat, hydrostat pump drive, and the loader hydraulics) except for the actual engine?

  3. #3Nige2012-03-05 12:04

    That would appear to be the case. I must admit I'm just going from the manual, I have never worked on this model. For me 10W hydraulic in a drive box seems awfully light but every model of 963 says the same so I guess it must be correct. One other point though, you should be using a TO-4 oil SAE30 or SAE50 (depending on ambient temperature) for the final drives.

  4. #4dirtfarmer2012-03-06 07:30

    Thanks!

  5. #5detroyt2012-03-14 19:22

    pb 2000

  6. #6blitz1382012-03-14 21:23

    Im pretty sure they're both right...10w hydraulic fluid or 15-40 are both acceptable in cat systems except of course for the final drives where like Nige said TO-4