Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to easily tarp/untarp a 35′ demo trailer?

clansing1 ยท 2009-07-15 23:57

I just bought a 35' steel end dump trailer for demo projects. We knock down houses and buildings and have to haul much of the debris to the landfills. I was wondering what would be the easiest, safest, quickest, and most economical way to tarp and untarp the trailer. The landfills around here require that the loads be covered. I was wondering if one could make a system similiar to what they put over rolloff dumpsters. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1Wolf2009-07-16 02:54

    What kind of demo are you doing? Any good salvage in the houses you are wrecking? You got any good demo photos? Please post them--would love to see some jobsite photos.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-07-16 11:16

    The easiest, safest, and fastest way is with a power operated roll up tarp. The roller part is mounted on the front, and spring loaded arms mount on the outside of the trailer about the center. To untarp, you just roll it up with the motor, and to unroll you just reverse the motor and the spring loaded arms pull the tarp out over the load, then settles down at the rear. I forget the brand, but they are common here in CA Found the website http://www.pulltarps.com/tucktarpsystemsforndumps.htm for demo stay away from the cable system. The pull out is not too good for demo either, as it hangs on everything. The arms take it up and over all the stuff that hangs up a tarp, at least most of the time.

  3. #3Kgmz2009-07-16 14:32

    Definitely go with a roll tarp, or flip tarp as they are sometimes called for all the reasons mentioned before. We have a Mountain Tarp Flip Tarp on one of our dump trucks. http://mountaintarp.com/

  4. #4mikef872009-07-16 19:52

    Thats what I've seen around here on the scrap trailers. The demo trailers have that slide rail system which I could see getting damaged very easily. I have a 60 foot scrap trailer but its a regular dump trailer tarp with the long arms. If you have the money go for the mountain tarp.

  5. #5clansing12009-07-16 21:57

    Automatic Rollover Tarp Thanks for the information. I was wondering if they made those for the longer trailers. The trailer I bought was an all steel, 36' long, full framed Freuhauf. We plan to used it for the bigger demo projects were their are over 20-30 dump truck loads or if it is a longer haul to the landfill (over 1 hour round trip). If the scrap metal market starts to go back up, I plan to haul scrap with it too. Although we don't need to tarp those loads. I only spent $6K for the trailer so I don't need to used it every week. The box is in very good shape. It was used to haul dead animals, so the box didn't take a beating. But boy does it stink! When I bought the trailer their were still a couple of dead bones in the box.

  6. #6tonka2009-07-17 09:37

    post pics of said trailer