Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to flush engine that has milked the oil (headgasket) Cat 262B

UptownCharlie ยท 2018-06-26 12:22

Hi everyone just working on a 262B that has a blown head gasket. Any thoughts on restoring the engine oil back to normal other than just flushing with fresh oil. Eng has about 7000hrs and I'm having the head checked/ rebuilt. Crankcase is a mess of goop. Had thought to do an oil sample to confirm bearings aren't on a road to rapid failure after doing a couple flushes at least. Thanks! Nathan

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2018-06-26 12:59

    Ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, "ethyl cellusolve" is the chemical to clean antifreeze oil gunk. Find the chemical and directions for a modern engine hopefully, and follow them. This isn't a flathead ford, so I'd be a little careful following vintage directions. I'd pressure wash the crankcase immediately before putting the valve cover back on and adding oil and running it with the flush.

  2. #256wrench2018-06-26 15:13

    can you still get that stuff? our cat dealer(finning) used to have it (I think it was referred to as DOWANOL) but the last time I tried(about 5 or 10 years ago), they didn't stock it and was told they couldn't get it anymore. just like most products that work great

  3. #3BC873G2018-06-26 15:46

    This looks like an equivalent. Good luck. https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hvtargid=kwd-465174262&ref=pd_sl_4zjtb9bw16_b

  4. #4Delmer2018-06-26 15:55

    You can still get it somewhere, might have to order it from china. And I don't know how a modern engine would handle it vs an old engine. But that's the stuff unless you want to pull the pan and pressure wash/ steam clean the crankcase, or rebuild it.

  5. #5UptownCharlie2018-06-27 09:01

    Hmm interesting thanks guys. Yes hoping to avoid pulling the eng out of machine. If I can get my hands on this stuff I will flush maybe a few times and will do oil samples. He's not much of a keener with his machinery and has been running it with a blown head gasket for some time "I've just been topping it up with water". I wouldn't be surprised if I end up pulling the motor this winter (down season) For now he needs it ASAP to feed his bandsaw mill.