I have been looking into buying and selling used heavy equipment. I'm still in the early stages of gathering info. If anyone can point me to the right direction or have any info on where to start, it would be greatly appreciated? I have a good friend who does this for a living but the b*****d doesn't want to share any info. How to find buyers/brokers from other countries? What are the machines in high demand? whats the basic process of shipping overseas? Is there a blue book for values of used iron? tips and tricks of the industry, for example in california a filter costs 10000 for smog, for that reason used iron can be picked up cheaper and sent overseas. What I know already is richie bros and iron planet are popular auctions to find equipment. Mexico, New Zealand, Australia are a few of the countries to export to. Any help would be great. Thanks Brian
"I have a good friend who does this for a living but the b*****d doesn't want to share any info." I'd say you should go work for your friend.
Well mate i think you have a long and hard road ahead of you, its not just as easy as buying and selling do you know anything about mahcines? like would you know if you are buying a good machine or not? sounds like you might be new to the industry feel free to message me i am always open to giving someone a hand.
Thanks JGS!!! I definitely understand its a long and hard road, but I am willing to be patient and learn for the long run. I would appreciate any advice you can help with. How do I go about private messaging on this forum?
If he'd let me. I'm not the type of person to step on anyone's toes, but I understand if he doesn't want any possible competition. I'm the total opposite. I like to help people, not hold them down.
For getting a basic idea of worth, machinery trader dot com is a good source of info on what they bring at auction and for sale.
start with a good personality and a huge pile of money. Everything else is learned through hard work and dumb luck
The reason he isn't so helpful- is the money that is made in selling used anythings, is dependent not on what you sell it for- but how you buy it. I don't sell iron, but I do move ag equipment. And the more folks who are looking at an available piece, the more it brings- and the less I can make when I resell it. So to be successful in this- you have to buy it right. I don't know about iron, but in most markets right now everybody wants used, pushing the margins pretty thin on the average pieces. So if he "helps" you, it can really impact him.
Seriously these places are popping up everywhere, I can think of a dozen newer places in central Pa that sell used equipment, goodluck, but its a saturated market. Your best bet is to shop criagslist and find those good flips
I sell industrial process equipment, machine tools, electrical transformers and polution control equipment. It is very much a "good ol boys network" and very clicky. Granted there are not as many dealers in what I do, but all of the dealers know each other and we all work together. If you want to be a dealer, bring a big wad of cash because you are going to have a considerable amount of money tied up in inventory as all of the dealers in my line do. A customer base also helps too.
The best way to get a machine at a good price is to have your own money and buy a machine for stock. You can make offers on machines that you can back up and you will get someone on the right day and get good value. If you don't have your own money to do this you must broker which is always more difficult as you do not have control over what you are selling. New and Used parts is a less competitive market and if you are brokering you can make just as much money with less risk. If you want any advice send me a message.