I have a 1998 PC 150-5 Komatsu excavator.The problem i am having is it will get hot and shut for 10-15 minutes till it cools down and then i can go back to working it till it gets hot again and shut down. I have raised the hood and opened the side door to help, but i can't be doing that al the time. Any Suggestions?
First make sure the space between the hydraulic oil cooler and the radiator are clean. There is usually a plate under the house that is directly under the radiator pod. Remove that plate and then blow out the radiator fins. You will have to blow both ways thru the coolers and it takes awhile to get it done. Next make sure that there is some kind of foam between the top of the radiator and the hydraulic oil cooler to keep air from working around the coolers. Good Luck!
Kind of a Komatsu thing when they get some age. There are a number of foam pieces around the radiator that I have replaced. Expensive but helped a lot. Cleaning is really important especially if you've had any kind of oil leak. It's really hard to get the radiator clean with the oil cooler in the way. I think the cooling system is just enough when they're new. I seem to see quite a few running with the engine cover propped up on a hot day.
Thanks John C and Komatsu 150 for the ideas to try. I will work on it this weekend and let you know how i did. Thanks again
Clean the radiator and all the heat exchangers, check coolant level is correct, fan working properly, radiator plug condition, and coolant filter for restriction to flow. If that does not help the go check thermostat and consider flushing the cooling system.
Any of these older excavators or log loaders that I have delt with it is just a problem that they have as they age. The foam rubber is extremely important not only on top of the radiator and oil cooler but on the sides and undernieth as well. The best way to clean between is to remove the oil cooler and then clean separately. If you still have a problem run your radiator through a radiator shop and have it rodded or replaced. I have used foam rubber from a fabric store and a razor blade and some time and adhesive and saved myself a good amount of money
I had a Cat hoe that almost drove me crazy, I did all the things in this thread and then some, no change. Believe it or not, I found an exhaust leak blowing exhaust gases through the radiator.
Thanks for the help guys. I got the foam rubber installed seems to be helping . I live in WV so i really won't get a good feel till summer time, but again thanks. rudy01