Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to get more HP from a L10 cummins…. suggestions?

Soodude ยท 2012-08-17 07:43

like the title says fellas.... what can I do to an L10 to up the HP even further than just turning up the fuel pump? Thanks guys

Replies9
  1. #1ben46a2012-08-17 20:53

    How much do you want? Compound turbos, bigger injectors, different fuel button, timing etc. I bet you can take north of 1000 hp out of one if you wanted albeit not for very long. A #17 fuel button perks an L10 right up though...

  2. #2Soodude2012-08-17 22:25

    how hard is it to change the button?

  3. #3Dualie2012-08-18 03:37

    swap in a big cam 3.

  4. #4Soodude2012-08-18 21:48

    how are those big cams Duallie? I heard bad things about them motors

  5. #5ben46a2012-08-19 11:22

    There's nothing wrong with a big cam, been around forever. Keep the topend setup and good oil and they'll last a long time.

  6. #6Soodude2012-08-19 11:34

    Ok so back to the L10, where abouts can I get a #17 button for the pump and how hard is it to change?

  7. #7Dualie2012-08-21 02:29

    I was joking about the big cam swap. But they are a very highly regarded engine last time i heard a stat they had put over 3+ million of them in over the road trucks. i would seek the advice of a good OLDER! diesel mechanic in your area. a lot of the younger guys dont know what the heck to do with mechanically injected motors. locally here you can get buttons and most any fuel injection parts from a local diesel injection pump re builder.

  8. #8Soodude2012-08-24 00:11

    adjusted my fuel pump today and noticed a big difference in the motor, she sings and pulls quite well now.... I'll have to go back in and adjust my AFC just a wee bit back, she smokes like a son of a beast when she lugs going into the next gear.... I maybe got a little greedy on that adjustment LOL..... The boss nicknamed it dark skies today because when i got on it, it eclipsed the sun LOL!!

  9. #9Fastdirt2012-08-24 00:39

    Sounds like my L10. It's really a smoker. I had my pump turned up and it pulls good on surface streets but those long highway hills can be tough pulling a machine. Just what you get with only 10 liters I suppose.