Hi guys. I have an '88 Ford LTL9000 and would like to get the AC working in it. When I had got the truck the AC compressor was siezed so I picked up another one but just never got around to putting it on. Today I finally got after it and decided to change it out and get it working, but I noticed that there seems to be a part missing from the system and I am unsure what it is. I don't have another LTL around here to comapare it to though. I noticed there are a few people on here with older fords though and was hoping somebody would know. Here's a few pics. The aluminum tube has threads in the fitting, but it is just open, no plug or anything in it. Thanks
With the pictures you have there it looks like you are missing the collector/drier.... It's the canister that collects the excess fluid as it travels back from the condenser that is mounted in front of your radiator..... Are both lines coming out of your condenser running back? Post some more pics of the entire system if you can
These are the only other pics I have right now. When I get home tonight I will take some more. One of the lines you can see in the right ofthe first picture goes up to the condensor and the line coming out of the condensor goes to the pump. The line from the pump is the other one you can see in the pic
your second picture there shows a regular receiver/dryer. I haven't ever seen a receiver dryer on the drop of a T like that.
Did it come new with a sleeper booth maybe?
Actually yes, at some point there was a sleeper on it which had been removed before I got it.
Oh, yes good thought Shopguy.
There would another T somewhere though for a return line wouldn't there? unless it was just a fitting that was removed when the sleeper was removed
In the last 5 years, I have owned at least (5) LTL9000 trucks and the A/C was crap on all of them, it just my luck, because its the same system as the L9000 trucks. The last LTL9000 I owned was a 1994 and I spent at least $1000 trying to get someone to fix the original system. I finally gave up and bought a aftermarket in cab box, from a salage yard for $150, I installed a new dryer, ran hoses to the box and it would freeze you in the summer time If you want A/C, get you a box for the inside cab, mount it on the wall and you will not be sorry. You said you had the compressor, so you are part of the way there I have bought a complete system for $1299 from Maverick Air, its a aftermarket Red Dot or DTAC system, you get everything except the freon Now to try to answer your question about what goes to where the silver plug is, Im sure it goes to the cooler on front of the radiator All the LTL's Ive had, didnt have a dryer on the side of the radiator like your picture, it had accumulators, they work different than the driers, but almost the same and they cost twice as much as driers also. They would usually go where the steel line is. The problem I always had with the A/C system on LTL' s and L9000 was the controls, resister, cables, switches, fan switch, duct hoses, well everything in the cab. good luck
That looks the same as the L9000 i have except the T , plug it charge it with air and see where it goes with soapy water when you get all the leaks fixed change the drier pull a long vac & fill her up.dont forget the oil. Good Luck
Well shopguy was right on the money. The smaller line right above this one has a square metal piece on it, and on the bottom of it is a tapped port for a return line. I would never have thought to look for that. I'll try to find some plugs for the lines and give er a whirl at getting it going. Thanks!
Maybe you would want to plug it with a hunk of aluminum, or pinch it off, and get it welded shut so you know it's good and tight, as well. It might be hard to find a threaded plug that will work.
Yeha, I'm finding that the plugs are gonna be a hard item to souce. I found a place that specializes in A/C though, and next time I head into town I'll pull the lines off and bring them with me. They still build lines there, so if they don't have the plugs I might just have them fab me up some new ones. This may turn into a 'try to get it working by next summer' type of project though!
Great looking truck man. LTL's are tough looking and they usually have big motors.
Thanks Fastdirt. Yeah, shes a pretty good 'ol truck. It's got 600,000kms (372,000m) so it still has a lot of life in it if treated well. It's got a 13spd, 40 rears with air ride and the 444 cummins, which has actually been a really good engine for me, other than some difficulty finding parts for it. I need an exhaust rocker and am having a hard time finding one other than from Cummins. For the rocker and the valve crosshead they want almost $600!! Luckily it's nothing serious yet. I had the rocker boxes off putting new gaskets in and o-rings on the injectors when I noticed some small pitting on the contact surface of the rocker arm. Figured I'd change them before it gets real bad, but the parts are sure hard to find for a decent price. Might have a line on some from a parts engine though. I'm gonna do a little more cleanup on it and get er nice and shiny again when I get a chance though.