Our boom extension is handy for working over an electricity distribution sub-station. The jib seen here with the extension bar gives the KX 161-3 a bit over 24 feet of reach handling 540lb blocks. The alternative is to try and use a much small mini-excavator and run around on the clients paving. A word of warning though, all that extra length is dangerous near overhead power lines. We don't use the extension bar much but the 4 foot quick attach jib makes block work much safer. I read about a bucket "falling off" an excavator and injuring a worker so I never lay blocks or do any lifting work with the bucket on anymore...even just for the visibility. Another cautionary word (of course) is that this type of attachment is unlikely to meet with the manufacturer's approval and may be subject to statutory regulation in your state if somebody decides its a crane not an excavator. Just a matter of common sense really.
Here i was expecting an advertisment for viagra.
Noticed that in the third pix, sems like you're lifting and you don't have theblade down. I'd think that would be a bit bouncy. Any reason, or just what worked at the time?
He probably just moved forward at the time to reach the last couple of blocks. Its not bouncy. I can apply my 210lbs to the hook as well without causing any significant bounce although I always advise my operators to keep the blade down.