Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to lock the boom, 580B

n175h · 2010-02-18 21:23

One thing I can't really get good at is locking the boom on my 580b. I have to run full throttle and bring it up from the ground, then right before it gets to the locking cam, throw the lever forward to get it to catch. It takes me 6 to 9 attempts to get this to lock. The driver that delivered it says they are all like that Is it supposed to be this way or is something wrong? David

Replies23
  1. #1fpgm042010-02-18 22:07

    It is typical on a Case with overcenter boom design to have to reverse the boom lever to overcenter the boom. With a little practice it will become second nature and you generally won’t need full throttle to do it. For this small activity, you gain better road handling, agility, smaller front counter weight, and better fuel economy as result of not having to haul around a bigger front counter-weight. To give you a little more detail, the boom cylinder actually has to travel to the minimum retract position then extend back when you reverse the lever. This causes boom to rotate over the center position and effectively throw some weight forward on the chassis as the backhoe is drawn closer to the front of the tractor when it is locked.

  2. #2woody2252010-02-18 22:08

    every one i have ran was like that but not that hard. you just pull the lever up and right before it stops just push it foreward and it locks

  3. #3Papa Goose2010-02-18 22:50

    I'm also just learning how to do this, and I've found that it's easier to do if you tilt the tractor forward, either by parking downhill or by picking up the back end with the outriggers. I'm hoping that after some practice I won't have to do this anymore! PG

  4. #4ScottAR2010-02-19 01:30

    What helped me with my 580d was scooting the boom forward (with it latched) unlatching the lock and extending very slowly until it falls out of over center. Watching the moment of fall from the seat shows you when to time reversing the boom lever. Now, I bump the throttle above idle and bump it right on most of the time. It's harder if I'm tired. HTH

  5. #5BigfootBushy2010-02-19 04:01

    On the Case hoes that I have been on I found it easier to lock the boom smoothly when just above an idle.

  6. #6dynahoescott2010-02-19 15:37

    whats wrong with full throttle, I never run less than full throttle.

  7. #7BigfootBushy2010-02-19 15:43

    Nothing mate. I use full throttle when digging. Just find for me that I can lock the boom smoother at low revs. What ever works for you.

  8. #8Bartlanz2010-02-19 16:51

    LOL, I could have sworn there where video's of this on youtube... but i for the life of me cant find any now... I'll see about making one tonight.

  9. #9diggerdave19582010-02-19 19:36

    LoL i have had a couple Case backhoes over the years and now i have a 580SE and its just one of those things u will get the hang of over time. i still have a day when i can't get it either take 2 or 3 trys LoL

  10. #10n175h2010-02-19 20:47

    Thanks for the replies. So, it is just my technique. I'll try the ass end hi technique to see if I can get better at it. David

  11. #11JS580SL2010-02-20 18:15

    Done nice and slow.......good ole' Super L. Dont ask me to run deere controls any more Id look a fool. YouTube - Backhoe

  12. #12JS580SL2010-02-20 18:20

    Ive locked case booms so many times I can do it with my eyes closed.

  13. #13NJfarmer2010-02-20 19:01

    Hello N175H When I first got my 580B I too found it difficult to lock the boom. What brought it home for me was to raise the rear end up with the outriggers. Run the machine at half throttle and bring the boom back fast then forward. After a few practices it will become second nature. Good Luck NJFarmer.

  14. #14wapaloose2010-02-20 21:06

    Raise the dipper and try it, That extra weight help's

  15. #15TimberGhost2010-02-20 21:23

    On occasion I can get it just like the video but most times it's just a tad rougher. That's all I use at work is a Case 580SM.

  16. #16JS580SL2010-02-21 01:50

    I run a 580 every day all day. Peak of the season 8 hours a day or more 6 days a week, its definetly second nature haha.

  17. #17mrusso942010-02-22 01:09

    Do you have an extenda-hoe? If you do you can cheat and use the extenda hoe to push the boom past center, then reverse your boom lever. Nice and smooth but you might get made fun of..

  18. #18tonka2010-02-22 09:34

    like all the guys have said it takes a little getting used to, but it's not that hard... you will be wearing out the rubbers before to long....

  19. #19The Parts Guy2010-02-22 12:43

    I agree with BigfootBushy; I find that I can lock the boom smoother at lower revs. That's just my own preference, I'm sure you can lock it at full throttle also. Just keep practicing!

  20. #20swampdog2010-02-22 13:51

    Years ago when I owned a Case backhoe, in the days before the internet and HEF, it took me a little while to figure out the trick involved. Now I get to laugh at the greenhorns that I see fighting to lock the boom.

  21. #21JS580SL2010-02-22 17:49

    I remember 13-14yrs old when my dad started letting me mess around with the new 580, it took me a while to get the hang off it no matter how many times I watched him do it. And yes if the extendahoes out, boom up and dip in all the way to fast not payin attention you might lock the boom. Its happen to me. I need a new rubber boom cushion just about every month. The new ones wear out to fast.

  22. #22Bartlanz2010-02-22 20:33

    When I bought my hoe, it didnt even have the cusion... I didnt know it was suposed to be there until I was farting around and noticed it in a drawing... I added it and it makes life much smoother!

  23. #23Papa Goose2010-02-22 22:43

    Is there such a cushion on the 580B? I can't find it on the parts diagram.