Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to manually crank 480c engine??

480C · 2024-08-15 17:02

Sorry if it’s a stupid question. Trying to remove an injection pump and want to check timing before I remove it. The manual says to crank the engine and it shows someone sticking some kind of tool in the flywheel hole. Thanks for your help!

Replies16
  1. #1480C2024-08-15 17:46

    I saw in a video someone stuck a screwdriver in the flywheel window to move the flywheel. Is that how you do it?

  2. #2alrman2024-08-15 17:55

    That's how the picture in the service manual looks - but I would only do that while actually lining up the timing marks, mainly because it is too slow. Generally you can carefully use one hand to turn the engine fan & the other to depress the fanbelt to get close to the timing marks. Just be sure the battery is disconnected & the fuel shut off cable is pulled out

  3. #3480C2024-08-15 17:59

    Thanks! I’ll give that a try tomorrow. And yes, the battery is disconnected and fuel off

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-08-15 20:56

    U can tighten the ba-Jesus outta the fan belt and use a socket on the alternator. (15/16”?) How about going thru the front and putting a socket on the harmonic balancer.?? Some u can and some u can’t.

  5. #5Tinkerer2024-08-16 12:08

    Remove the sheet metal pan that is on the bottom of the torque convertor and the flywheel can be turned with a pry bar. Someone to assist you would be nice.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-08-16 12:24

    It really is a 2 man job.. 1 to turn the engine., & 1 to look in the pump with a flashlight to line up the lines. Some of the lines on the weight cage can be REAL LIGHT.. Another thing I like to tell customers who have never worked on a diesel before is: Get a marker or piece of chalk and put a line on the front harmonic balancer.. A Diesel engine has to rotate 2x per the pumps 1x.. So it may seem like you’ve rotated the engine over many, many times.. in reality it’s only been once.. lol That’s where the chalk comes into play.. It just depends on where the engine stopped.. Oh, DONT TRY to use the starter to line up the lines.!! IT DOESNT WORK. Good luck

  7. #7Vetech632024-08-16 13:34

    I gave a young tech a remote start button once to line up timing marks. I then watched him for over an hour continue to use that button because he kept passing the marks. It never dawned on him to use the button to get it close...then line it up by hand.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2024-08-16 14:28

    ROFLMAO.!!! I think it comes with the territory.. I’ve watched grown azz men do it too.!! And they worked in the fuel shop.. lol I’ll only let’m suffer for about 5 minutes tho.. I got called out on a service call to a DIESEL TRACTOR REPAIR CENTER ONCE.. and the fella wanted me to show him HOW TO time a 580 that didn’t have any timing marks.. I mean, it’s possible it didn’t have any timing marks in the pump.. but when I asked him to show me how he determined that.. & he picked up the start button and kept pressing it for 15-20x.. I just hadta laugh..!! I took it away from him, hit it until the marks went past.. took a socket on the alternator and went past the window again and then brought it back up to the stationary line and said, “U mean THOSE marks??” But I did end up showing him how to time one with no marks tho.. remove the valve cover, rotate till #1 is on compression and looking at the flywheel marks.. It’s STILL FUNNY to watch tho.!!

  9. #9Vetech632024-08-16 14:48

    I'm beginning to think I might be one of those pricks that everyone talks about lol

  10. #10thepumpguysc2024-08-16 14:54

    U got nuthin on me brother.. Lol

  11. #11thepumpguysc2024-08-16 15:00

    One place I worked had CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN ROOM.. where the turbo chargers were built.. Once a week for a few weeks I would load up an air blow gun with RED GREASE.!! It would take the guy an hour to clean up those parts again.. Lol

  12. #12480C2024-08-17 14:57

    Update. I tried the things folks suggested to crank the engine and none worked for me. I finally took off the from and radiator and used a cloth ratchet strap and was able to turn the engine. That’s the good news… Bad news is I cannot find either the timing marks in the fly wheel of the faint line in the pump. The ratchet strap only turn a little at a time. Maybe 1/8 of a turn. I would do one 1/8 and check the pump and flywheel. Did this for about 3 hours and no luck. The flywheel marks in the manual show them to the right (towards front of machine) of the gear teeth. I can’t see that far to the right of the teeth. In fact, I can only see the left side of the teeth. For the pump, I would wipe it down and shine a light in multiple angles to try to find that line. I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks

  13. #13thepumpguysc2024-08-17 15:23

    only 2 things left.. 1) remove the valve cover which is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE AZZ.. and rotate the engine until you’re on TDC compression stroke #1 cyl and look for the lines and/or degree marks.. 2) say screw it, and make a punch mark or a deep scratch mark on the pump mounting flange and a corresponding mark on the block so u can put it back where it was and snatch the pump off.. I can walk you thru putting it back in time when the time comes.. But like I said earlier, it’s 100x easier going BACK ON, if u line up the lines BEFORE taking it off..

  14. #14480C2024-08-17 15:40

    I’ll try #1 first. I have the engine cover off so I think it’s just a couple of nuts to get the valve cover off.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2024-08-17 15:43

    How many nuts r holding the pump on.?? 2 or 3.?? If it’s 3.. u need to make a wrench to fit.. or if u have a 1/2 moon wrench, that’ll work.

  16. #16480C2024-08-17 16:01

    3. I see what you mean. I’ll have to get that wrench. The machine is at my camp and I’m leaving tomorrow. I ‘ll be back in a couple of weeks and can try again. I’m using the machine to clear land, so it’s not urgent to get fixed immediately. Thanks.