I have an old P&H 440TC lattice boom crane. I need to move around on the construction site and do not want to unmount the boom every time. I see that crawler trains always move around, so I assume this should work with a crane truck ? What is the usual procedure for such ? The terrain has no "hills" but as most construction sides is not 100 % even everywhere, i don't want the truck to flip ! Thanks for any advice
Quite often there is a procedure in you manual. Most often seen is is the outriggers extended and barely slidding on the ground while crawling along in granny. It is not fail safe though. A few years ago Dawes was crawling around a midwest site with q 550 Grove with Lufting jib to get to a spot to break the machine down. The jib was folded down with the wheels on the ground but still up a 150 ft. They did everything by the book but the asphalt had a void under it and they took out a office traler and a couple pickups. Lucky no one was killed. Not trying to scare you off but we need to keep it in mind that **** happens. Always insure the ground is stable. We always had a level roadway side to side. No exceptions.
No offense, but if you don't know how to move the rig, and how to adjust the boom hoist, maybe you should rent a crane with operator until you know more about cranes. Not trying to be mean, but if you flip the machine, or the boom runs, saying "sorry" isn't going to undo any damage.
Do you have the load chart on the crane ? It may give some information . Look at this one on machinery trader . My eye's may be deceiving me but it looks like it shows an on rubber chart with 100 foot boom in the lower left hand corner of the load chart picture ? http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9647015 I also concur with old iron & buckethead .
The 440 is pretty stable on rubber,if your roads are flat side to side.The guys are right ,get the book out and some help from someone experienced.Ill just add this,be sure the house lock is working properly.Seeing counterweight in your mirror is not good!
Guys about "experienced help", this is what forums are about. If you do not have any experience/knowledge for a question, than simply don't answer. Again, the manual has no info on moving. However the load chart shows pretty impressive OVER THE SIDE loads WITHOUT outriggers. This would indicate that it is almost impossible to flip the crane. However if the boom is locked to the front or back, the counterweight is not swing out so this makes it less stable for side angles. I will secure the house with chains as I do not trust the swing brake anyway. I will look for more resources on the net, especially also of accidents happened. Again I appreciate any info of members who actually DO MOVE crane trucks. This should be a common task ! I was looking for more detailed advise of people who are doing this, like boom to the front or back, what to do with the hook etc. Tugger's comment regarding the house lock for example is helpful, although it seems that the TC440 does not have such, just a swing brake. If I am wrong, where can I find the house lock ?
I have moved truck cranes around with a lot more boom than that in them. It's not something that can be taught on a forum, the first time you have to do it under the direction of an experienced person. Again, I am not trying to be a jerk here, it's just that you don't seem to know what happens when you push the boom lever, you ask strangers on the Net how to move your machine, and you don't know where the house lock is. Friction cranes are no joke, it's not a skid steer that will stop when you take your hands off the levers. And with 100 feet of boom, the danger zone may not be confined to the site. Accidents by inexperienced people are why there are so many laws and regulations. Kobelco bought out P&H, contact a Kobelco dealer for manuals and a mechanic to fix your boom hoist. Please take the machine to some empty yard away from people and buildings, and please practice there before you work around guys like setting steel or something.
I obviously know nothing about such cranes whatsoever. But I do have a history of operating equipment that I have no clue about, without getting in trouble. The rules are: 1) go slow 2) think a lot 3) avoid getting into something that cannot be stopped easily (this includes falls and fires) In case of this crane, for example, I would 1) ask everyone to leave the potential fall area 2) creep slowly 3) extend outriggers and have them close to the ground 4) avoid bad soil and unlevel ground I am not advocating ingorance. But it often happens that equipment has to be moved, loaded on trailers, etc by a person who barely knows how to operate it. For example, 2 weeks ago I had to drive my Grove RT-60S on my lowboy trailer over the beaver tail. Again, this comes from a clueless newbie.
Well, the OP says in his other thread that the boom was running away, and he didn't know how to fix it. If that boom comes down, anyone under it is dead. A conventional truck crane with 100 ft. in it is a lot easier to flip than your RT. And he doesn't know how to engage the house lock. If he was clamming with it in some sand pit in the woods, it would be alright, but if he is around people, live traffic or occupied buildings, someone can get hurt/killed before they knew what hit them.
That's cool joer00 . Good luck with it . If you cant be good ......... Be lucky .
The chart on rubber might be impressive,but you don't want to se what happens when your swung over the side on rubber and you boom up too much.I don't think the P&H manual tells you those limits.I think theres a lot of experience here,but you need it in the seat not on the forum.
Thank you.
The limits are on the load chart and they are quite impressive. I did more research and in fact the outriggers are an OPTION, so this crane was build to be operated without them. Unfortunately there is no information in the manual about moving nor on the load chart. As there is no clear answer until now I will simply rely on physics and math and calculate the flipping angle based on the known weight of the truck, counterweight and boom and will only move it with the boom if I can stay at 75 % below that angle at any given time. This is MUCH BETTER than "experience in the seat", because I do not want to learn when a truck flips by experience ! I do not know how stupid other people are, but nobody has to tell ME not to stand under the boom or hook or having the boom in a radius where it can fall on land outside of mine. This is just common sense ! The worst can happen is machine damage, but of course I want to avoid such.
You did not tell me why the boom was running away (which I figured out after looking at the facts) nor did you tell me where the house locks are and how to engage them. So obviously you do not more than I about my issues. As I mentioned in my first posts, what I need is information and REAL advise, not somebody consistent telling me how inexperienced I am. ALL crane accidents I was reading about where done by EXPERIENCED persons. It's all about knowledge and execution with the necessary knowledge and care! ichudov thanks for your advise, it's those posts I am looking for.
Please don't take it as a personal attack. I apologize if it came across that way. It's that you said the boom was going live and my reaction was (and still is) fear for anyone who is under or near that boom. If being a crane operator is your dream, you're half way there, no one will stop you at this point, it's just that if you were asking questions about basic things a crane operator does, I was thinking maybe you should practice away from people a little bit first. When I started as an operator I wasn't allowed to run a roller near a curb until I could prove to the boss I could control the machine safely, much less run a long boom crane.
OK, guys, I have a practical question. Is there some budget way to learn crane operation without shelling mega-bucks for official crane courses. I own a crane which I plan on using for scrap metal removal. I do not plan on using it in construction or renting it out. I would like to pay someone cash money to teach me what to do with it and, even more importantly, what NOT to do with it. My crane is Grove RT-60S.
There might be a retired crane operator in your area that may be looking to help out and make a few bucks. I would check around and ask employees of any contractor in the area that owns cranes.
Hello everyone, I haven't seen one of cranes in a long time, a bridge company I worked for back in the 80's had a few of those. no there is no swing lock on them just a brake. the boom hoist is a planetary set up, it has 2 dogs underneath the drum that catch when in boom down mode, if neither catch then its going to be live, those dogs have to be free and not stuck to the pin, the little shoes have to be free of grease and oil. Move the crane around jobsite with the boom to the rear don't trust the swing brake either I always shut the engine down and wedged a 2x4 between the cab and on the swing lever, extra sense of security. This is not a R/T crane so just keep that in mind
Check the union hall in your area for a retired ' operator.
depending on what state you live in many are requiring certified operators. Theres NOTHING budget about owning or operating a crane. cutting corners with cranes and rigging is a sure fire way to get some one injured or killed.
Illinois does not require certified operators. Certification is required either in City of Chicago, or where the crane is used in construction (OSHA).
What "CITY AND STATE" are you in and is going to used on a job site or in scrap yard??? mp5vette
You should listen to these ops about you being in over your head with this move. The Internet is not the place to be asking for help
This thread is a lot more interesting reading it a second time through now that I have a 440tc.