I’m going to start training on a electric shovel (P&H 4100c boss) in the next month or two and was just looking for some tips and advice. I work at a new mine and we have a few really good experienced shovel operators but the majority have less than a year and are struggling. I will be trained by both pools of operators. Some of the main things I see our newer operators struggling with and I’m looking for help with are: -avoiding crowd over speeds when returning to the bank -avoiding boom jacks when ramping down - how to not wack your left track tip when cutting your floor and if you can get tight enough over your track tips when loading with “track shield” on. -working in soft conditions and not getting your cable stuck under carbody/propel motors Generally just how not to be too bad for too long. I’m not as worried about cable handling/placement as I have a background in pit utility and oiling/operating large size draglines.
This sounds like a very interesting thread. Cable units are a lost art any more and having a little bit of an old cable machine background I'll be real interested in reading anything about this.