Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to pressure wash?

rick nelson ยท 2017-08-12 14:33

I am new to the group and new to owning my first road grader!!! Never been in one till I bought this little jewel. It's a Galion t-500 Grade O Matic. I would like to pressure wash it to clean it up enough for my wife and I to go on a moonlight drive some evening. I am afraid of causing damage by pressure washing areas that I shouldn't. Any tips on do's and dont's when it comes to pressure washing motors' hydraulics, transmissions and Etc. Thanks in advance Rick

Replies8
  1. #1Junkyard2017-08-12 15:53

    Unless you have a monster commercial duty machine that's 3,000 psi or more and a tip that has an angle like a laser beam there's not much you can hurt. I'd avoid any electrical connections, avoid a direct shot to the alternator, stuff like that. Avoid the exhaust or air inlet as well. Make sure hydraulic reservoir has a good cap on it, avoid the vent if so equipped. Most of what you seek to clean shouldn't take a close application of pressure anyway. If it has hot water that will help and should require less direct pressure. For the most part it's common sense. Which doesn't seem to be so common lol. Also, a Hudson can with simple green or something like that you can pre-treat heavy areas helps too. If the pressure causes a hose to leak it wasn't long for this world anyway.

  2. #292U 34062017-08-12 17:55

    Yeah there isn't much you can hurt with a pressure washer on equipment. As long as you avoid everything Junkyard mentioned you should be fine.

  3. #3seville0092017-08-12 19:34

    I always unhook the battery first.

  4. #4Tenwheeler2017-08-12 20:47

    No close contact in seal areas. Crankshaft, hydraulic cylinders,tires,etc. When I had something like that delivered to the house my wife asked "ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?". I shared that with a friend which asked? Did you not say you were hoping for a little tractor sex? No that was definitely out of the question. Good luck with your machine, date and always paint down wind from the house.

  5. #5Ct Farmer2017-08-12 23:18

    X2 on unhooking the battery, especially if you are doing more than surface cleaning. Metal wand across a positive ground can get interesting. Ask me how I know.... Actually disconnect the battery don't just flip the cutoff switch. Otherwise, avoid electronics and have at it. We usually use hot water @ 190, butyl based detergent and about 1800 psi. You can strip paint so be cautious till you learn.

  6. #6mitch5042017-08-12 23:47

    Avoiding electronics isn't hard on a T-500...

  7. #7wornout wrench2017-08-13 01:31

    Careful around the radiator and rad hoses, you can flatten the fins on the rad and if you get close enough to the hoses you can cut them, same on any air intake hoses.

  8. #8Numbfingers2017-08-13 02:39

    Don't know if you have a backup alarm or not but one accidental blast from the wand will take it out in my experience.