Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to quickly blow the new seals in track tensioner cat 311b

slwbid · 2016-06-20 22:03

OK...so recently I bragged a little about how quickly I was able to get the 2nd of 2 cat 311b track adjusters out, replace the seals and re-install it. Well this past Saturday, I got humbled. I told a big brute of man who works for me sometimes to go tighten the tracks up good and tight. He did all right. As tight as he could possibly get them. He blew the new seals out of both track tensioners just by putting the strength of his leg sized biceps on the grease gun. I didn't know that could be done. But trust me. He did. I should be pretty darn good at removing, rebuilding and replacing the tensioners after this. Henceforth, I will personally tighten my own tracks. I'll just let this man pull up stumps and pile them in burn pile for me.... with his bare hands. Best wishes to all Stacy

Replies6
  1. #1backhoe12016-06-20 22:22

    why would you want the tracks that tight?

  2. #2Scrub Puller2016-06-21 02:20

    Yair . . . All track machines have a specified dimension of sag . . . often measured across carrier rollers with all the slack on top. Cheers.

  3. #3redneckracin2016-06-21 07:39

    If you have a good grease gun they can push out 10kpsi. I hate when someone humbles me like that but I'm usually the guy breaking things so its sort of self punishment.

  4. #4fast_st2016-06-21 12:40

    Its helpful to have an employee that can push start a D8 without assistance.

  5. #5slwbid2020-06-05 23:34

    Turns out i was wrong about why my man blew the seals on both track tensioner. The real issue was that both tracks had work and stretched past the viable lenght of the rod in the tensioner. Once past a certain point, the seals start being exposed and they blow right out. But i cut short rods to add to ends if the cylinders - to “butter” them, and got many more useful hours out of the tracks.

  6. #692U 34062020-06-06 01:24

    Most cases you can remove a link from the chain and get a few more hours out of it.