I finally got around to putting a thumb on my PC200. I found it on CL and had it shipped. The guy who removed it from the other machine did a very nice job of cutting it out. I put it as close to the coupler without it interfering with the bucket curl. Just figured I'd post some pics. It's just tacked on for now. I'll finish welding it tonight. 6010 for the root pass and then 7018.
You don't need the the 6010 root pass. A three pass 7018 fillet is more than enough. Also don't weld around the tips on the base plate. Whale tail them out in a slight curve and all will be well.
Excellent. Thank you. I haven't done stick in a while (MIG has spoiled me) so getting used to running it vertical up has been a challenge.
vertical up is fun on 7018, run it hot and pause in the corners, actually I dislike 7018 vertical.
I tend to run it not so hot and less angle on the rod after the root pass, sort of stair stepping, but then again I don't know if it's weaker or not.
Looks like a Solesbees thumb, should last you a long time. Just don't twist your stick!
That angle wouldn't really be considered vertical. Turn the heat on and run a big puddle and you will be fine. It isn't really too steep to run a dual shield on either.
I lifted the boom up and put the stick in a vertical position. I think I got it dialed in now for the 7018. It's an older model Weldanpower but it still runs great. I'll attach a few more pictures tomorrow.
Its a Solesbee thumb that I found on Craigslist. It's definitely a beefy build. What do you mean by twist your stick? Is that really possible? I can't even imagine how that would happen!
Picking up long items by one end. Easy. Lots of other ways, the thumb gives you the opportunity to grab things, which then act like a lever to rotate the end of the stick.
I plan on using it for land clearing and logging so I'll have to be very careful not to do that!
Here's a few more pics. I need to finish welding up the sides before I use it to remove an old rock foundation. I did mention I haven't done stick in a while right?