Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to remove front differential from Michigan/Clark loader (55b)

joer00 ยท 2020-10-29 10:15

My loader suddenly emits a loud "grinding" noise from the front. I am trying to take apart the differential but it absolutely does not come off ! Attached is the parts from the manual. I removed the axles (19) and all nuts from the differential (48) (see attachment). I cleaned the area where the differential connects to the axle. I get zero movement. I put a jack under the differential and it just lifts the whole loader up. Zero gap appears where I could put pry bars in. Anybody had similar issues and knows how to get it out ? Also, once I get this out, what is the procedure to fill it with oil ? What oil and how much ? It looks to me like the wheels are connected to the differential, so oil for the wheel planetary would flow to the differential ? The differential has a plug to release oil (43) but none to fill it (unless unscrewing the breather).

Replies5
  1. #1Jgm2020-10-29 15:36

    I imagine that on the other side you have a driveshaft connected to your front axle, your probably going to have to remove your opinion gear, with filling, you should have full ports on near your hubs, that run through, oil type not sure

  2. #2funwithfuel2020-10-29 17:48

    Remove outer planetary covers, extract half shafts. Both sides. Pull pig. Look for threaded holes to be utilized as Jack-screws

  3. #3joer002020-10-30 11:42

    Well the issue why it is not coming out are cone washers which I first did not see with the dirt. Two came out, one is totally stuck Will try some more tricks and if it does not work try to pull out the whole stud.

  4. #4joer002020-10-30 11:44

    Yes, there are fill wholes on the planetaries both sides and plugs with some text to check when wheel is in correct position. So I assume I fill this up until oil comes out of that check plugs.

  5. #5Jgm2020-10-30 14:57

    Correct