OK not sure if in right section, so sorry if not, but?? So does anyone have any tricks on how to get asphalt out of a skid steer bucket?? I got a free load of top coat HOT asphalt, 20 tons I was adding oil to bucket to keep it out while I moved it and put down on a old road/drive way! but last few bucket loads it stuck pretty good and now have about 350 lbs of it in bucket I cannot get out, tried, a high pressure washer(3000psi) and no go its been in bucket for about 4 hours now>> any tricks or-tips on how to get it out??
Diesel will soften it pretty good but it is going to be some work to get in between the bucket and the lump. Blasting it with cold water is just going to make it harden up into diamond. It has to be either heated or removed with solvent (diesel or worse)
OK thanks what do you think about if I build a fire pit, out of say cinder blocks, the shape of the bottom of bucket, and get a good hot fire going and then a solid base of ash, and place bucket over tip of things and let cook will this stuff get soft again from heat like this or is it not hot enough? or once cured, won't get soft again?? I am soaking it now with some diesel fuel too, but its about 6 inches thick at the back and corners?? LOL I was adding oil to bucket every other load, and then tried to do the last 5 without adding any, my mistake for sure?
Let me clarify I am not the expert on this though I have done it a time or two. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in, I just wanted to help you get started. Of course you now realize you have to scrape out every inch of the material and re-oil before you get a new load. Is this a Bobcat or a backhoe or what? I do like the idea of a bed of coals but don't let it damage any hydraulics, or start the asphalt on fire. It will soften right up, though, if you heat it gently but firmly. But you are going for like 300 degrees or better so it will take a lot of heat. If it was a Bobcat I would remove the bucket. You also would not want to damage any heat treat on the bucket, maybe others can speak to that. Maybe a large propane weed burner on the asphalt itself, though awful and smoky would be the safest bet.
its a new holland skid steer, 72 inch HD bucket(no teeth) my plan on fire is build a pit out of cinder blocks, so this way once I get things where there HOT and all, I can place bucket over things resting on blocks OFF the machine, and let it cook! then re attach bucket when good and hot and try and shake it out, or??with luck slide out when tipped and shaking?? just wasn't sure if anyone had a better idea/trick, or even if my idea would even work as not sure hot hot things have to get to melt it again!
here is a pic of the bucket, NOW have diesel fuel in it soaking things too cannot build a fire today, as too dry out, but maybe later in week if it rains! its not tremble, but it sucks as I use machine mostly for snow removal
Cooking oil smokes at 450 degrees. That temperature won't hurt the metal of the bucket. Maybe the paint, but you can repaint. The cinder block fire pit sounds right IF you take it off when the asphalt starts to smoke and you scrape out what you can. It will take several cycles of heat and scrape. But the cycles of low heat will keep the metal from overheating and warping. If you heat it enough to shake out, I fear the metal will get too hot. I'm thinking of a long handled ice chipper would be just the tool to use.
That doesn't look that bad, I bet the diesel fuel will soften it up enough that you won't want to mess with the fire. The fire will do it, I think you want to try a light bed of coals, set one side of the bucket right in the ashes and cover with dry ashes or sand, even 1/2" will help the metal heat faster and more even, only need the insulation over bare metal, the asphalt will insulate to some degree. Once the asphalt loses grip with the steel, lift the bucket and scrape it out. I don't think you'll need 300 degrees, but close to that will sure help. 200 will be pretty soft and do nothing to the paint. A long bar with a narrow tip is what you want, that ice scraper won't touch it unless it falls out on it's own.
ok thanks I have some long handles HD flat head shovels I was going to use I know at some point cinderblocks can pop and sort of explode too, so, I am thinking about leaving a gap some what between them so they can maybe breath a little more, and maybe not fling hot particles all over too! I been soaking it now a few hours and its NOT really doing much, its on there pretty good, but maybe what ever fuel it absorbs will help heat it up when I do get a fire under it! I'll update after and let you know how it worked or didn;t but if anyone has any other idea's I am open to hear em!
Definitely build a fire under it. I do it once or sometimes twice a week to keep them clean. You will have to scrape it out but it will be pretty easy once it is warm.
Citrus solvent soak, then, heat metal with torpedo heater. Then scrape.
never thought about the torpedo heater idea, I have one of them too so, might try that, less work than starting a fire?? thanks!
A propane weed burner torch works good, have used that several times.
Been there, done that Tags It doesn't take too much heat to soften up hot mix... especially the new 'green' stuff... just leave it in the sun for a few hours just be patient with the heat and you shouldn't hurt the metal.
We pave with skid steers every day,and it doesn’t take much heat to get it out after a good spritz of diesel. Just a few more scoops of good hot mix usually does the trick. It doesn’t sound like there is any more mix in your near future,so I’d go with the weed burner. Give it all a good soaking with diesel,set the cutting edge on the ground with the bucket vertical,set up your torch blowing right on the mix,and wait. It shouldn’t take long for it to soften up and slide right out. I bailed 45 ton out of the back of trucks today,and the bucket was clean when we loaded it up. Trying to chip it out cold will get you nowhere.
thanks, I went to go buy a propane weed torch , and the local shop was sold out, so, won t have me one till next week now I am soaking things now with diesel fuel and , have been smearing it over thing every few hours as I have a chance so far its all rock hard yet, as its hard to keep any of it wet with the fuel, as if I roll bucket back, I would need about 40 gallons to coat things, and if I level it it still all runs to back, or right out of bucket, due to hump of hard stuff mid way, making it flow either all back or all front? I been using a roofing tar broom to smear it on things, but it runs off pretty fast! LOL so not sure its helping, or not but pretty sure the torch idea will be the ticket, less work than building a pit/fire too!
Just a thought... place a rag where you want to hold diesel. Then soak the rag with diesel. I'm not so sure diesel is the way to go. It just might burn when you get the propane burner. Just be prepared for a fire.
HAHA< yeah I am pretty sure the fuel will burn up as flame is added to things, but I plan to do so in a very open safe area, so not a worry if flames happen! diesel fuel is more or less maybe just to help get things more pliable and come off easier, but who know's will see once I get the torch going!, by then fuel might be all dried up too
well my buddy told me he had a torch, so I went and borrowed it, and got home and it started raining so waited a while for things to get wet, and started the torch and heating bucket tried just heating bottom and sides, but wasn't seeming to want to budget so, then just tilted bucket on some blocks(off machine) and heated things from top down to bucket, and then kept getting it all hot and gooey and scraped at it with a flat headed shovel took me about an hour and used about 8 lbs out of a new 20 lb tank of propane, but bucket is now as good as it ever was , clean like, so all good I did order myself a torch in case ever need it again, worth the 30 bucks it will cost me to just have on hand! so, all is good, again!
I cleaned mine up with an air chisel made short work of it..
You need a lawn sprayer with diesel in it. Just spray it and let it soak through the mix next time. If you use a gallon or two,you’ve used plenty.
If Harley riders' kickstands will sink into recently laid asphalt on an extremely hot summer day, seems like it wouldn't take an extreme amount of heat. Heat plus the snow scraper.