The front wheel bearings have gone on my 1985 485 Case tractor with heavy front axle. Can someone tell me how to get the hub cap out, there is only a very tiny groove far in and though there are two opposed notches in the hub I can get no purchase on the cap. I am used to much simpler ways to get to the bearing retaining nut. Thanks.
It looks like there is an internal snap ring where the hub isn’t all boogered up .
You can access the partsbooks at www.mycnhstore.com . The cap is just a standard press fit grease cap. You will have to figure out how to pry it out. I would first get rid of the burrs on the hub before trying to pry the cap out. Looks like a poor design from IH. The link below if it works should take you to the parts diagram. Case IH | Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for wheel hubs and caps, heavy duty front axle | MyCNH US Store Find schematics, manuals, specifications and diagrams for WHEEL HUBS AND CAPS, HEAVY DUTY FRONT AXLE. Find genuine OEM parts for your needs. www.mycnhstore.com
We used to drill a hole in the center of them and pry them out with long tapered punch. A rotary file in drill would be my choice clean up the boogers in the hub.
Thank you all for your help. The photo does not really show the hub or cap very well, the damage is to the paint and outside of the hub, the interior is clean and I can see no damage or scoring that would impede removing the cap, I was wondering about giving it a dose of blowtorch, looking at the parts on the link you sent it seems that the cap is quite shallow, hopefully if it starts moving it should not be too difficult.
I see in the part diagram the hub has only 6 bolt holes, my tractor has 8, looking at some advertisers selling wheel bearing kits I notice sometimes stipulated just for tractors with 6 bolt holes. As stated it has a heavy duty front axle, I think it may have been used in industry before me. I would have preferred to buy the kit first and have it at hand so I could remove the old and fit the new at the same time.