I folks-I have a Genie GS1930 that has a very leaky front cylinder(leaks onto the electrical bundle at the front of the machine). I found a rebuild seal kit for the cylinder, so now I need to safely remove the cylinder. I looked through the service manual and saw nothing about safely removing it. Do I need to bleed the system, or de-pressurize it first? thanks for the help. The actual removal of the fittings looks straight forward, I just need to ensure it's not under pressure, and be prepared for leaks.
I think there is a safety block you can engage to hold the scissors and platform up, then use the ground control switch to let off the pressure to the cylinder and set the weight on that safety. Look for a manual reference for blocking the platform up.
Exactly what I would do. Platform only uses hydraulics to lift it, gravity lowers it so should be nothing for pressure inside once its lowered to rest on the safety lock.
If the cylinder still lifts; Just run it up, install the safety block, and lower it until the weight is on the block. Should be a quick reseal job after that.
Hi folks-thanks alot for the help. The lift had been left in a non-level location in which I could not get it to the "safety block" position. I was able to move the lift to an indoor location that is level, however, it required a several hundred feet drive, in which the steering cylinder kind of hemmoraged hydraulic fluid. When I parked it and went to lift the platform, it only raised an inch or two. I topped off the hydraulic fluid, and it still does the same thing. So I can't get it to a safety position. The steering cylinder, at the front of the machine, is the leaking, but the lift cylinder doesn't appear to be leaking. If I ran the system dry, do I need to bleed the system of air to get it to raise? it raised and lowered fine before this incident.
So is it just the steer cylinder leaking? Get it resealed/replaced and do the steer hoses while you're down there. Good chance you just ran it out of fluid and need to bleed it all out after repairing your leak.
Yes-the only location I can detect a leak is at the steer cylinder. I was attempting to raise it to the safety lock position so i could rebuild it, but now i can't raise it. how do i bleed it all out so that the vertical raise cylinder engages? I tried to cycle it up and down 5-6 times, and i only got 1-2 inches of raise each time. thanks for the help! i'll also do the steer hoses while i'm in there.