I did a search, but found no information on how to remove an oil pan from an older Case 580B. This discussion is on the early 580 B CK, year 1968.....but probably covers most of the 70 models. I want to remove the oil pan and inspect the oil pump screen, and clean everything well, as it probably has not been off in over 30 years. Here are a few pics which makes it appear that you have to remove some of the front axle supports in order to drop the pan down. I hope the experts will comment and give us the simpliest way to do this. Here is the ole lady (she's been rode hard and hung up wet): Oil pan pics: If it turns out not to be an extremely difficult job to take the oil pan off, I plan to do it and post more pics of the process to help others down the road. All advice is appreciated.
How did this go? I want to do a do the same thing for the same reasons as well as another problem I'm having. I have cracked a couple oil filters at the seam upon start up and i think during normal operation, I noticed it while working so not sure when it cracked. But since it has cracked a different filter and pushed passed the seal a few times squirting a stream of oil 25 feet across the ground. Every time a very fun mess to clean up! I don't have a oil pressure gauge on it so no idea what the pressure is nut I'm thinking a ton to crack the crimp seam on the filter. I want to drop the pan and see what's going on in there, I think there is a oil pressure bypass in the pump. Maybe that's getting stuck. Any input is appreciated!
Are you using a good quality filter? What weight of oil are you using?
The first filter was a Napa Gold that was on it when I bought it in 2020. I cant remember exactly what I replaced it with but I think it was another Napa thinking it may have just been a faulty part. Cracked that one too. Then I replaced in with the $20 EOM st8 from the case dealer. It hasn't cracked that one but it has pushed past the rubber seal a few times maybe 4 or 5 even. I run the Motorcraft 15-40.
The first filter was a Napa Gold that was on it when I bought it in 2020. I cant remember exactly what I replaced it with but I think it was another Napa thinking it may have just been a faulty part. Cracked that one too. Then I replaced in with the $20 EOM st8 from the case dealer. It hasn't cracked that one but it has pushed past the rubber seal a few times maybe 4 or 5 even. I run the Motorcraft 15-40.
You should be good on the oil viscosity. Have you tried to tighten the filter a bit more beyond the instructions?
Hi Vetech63, I did, when it would push past the gasket the gasket would bow out twist and need to be reinstalled. So, I would unthread it, fix the gasket and thread it back on tight as I could. I'm not small and I work with my hands so I'd get it tight. But it would happen again, I started turning the engine over with the kill switch pulled out so it wouldn't start right away, then push it in to start, my theory is it would pump oil for a few seconds before starting at higher rpm. Maybe giving a sticky bypass a chance to open up. That seemed to help but it's all a guess without a oil pressure gauge... Also, I know the oil filter was plenty tight when it cracked the crimp seem. I have some ideas about the ideal way to go about diagnosing this, 1. get a oil pressure gauge and a tachometer, 2. drop the oil pan to check that the pump pressure bypass is working. But being I've got 3 youngsters, a full time job, a father in the early stages of dementia and other family obligations I haven't got a around to tackling that yet. I'm really wondering if anyone else out there has ever had this problem and can tell me about the oil pressure bypass and if I'm on the right track about that. The guy at the Case dealer told me its got a pin and a spring in it that slides open to allow oil to bypass and it could be stuck? I know there's only one way to find out, but these tractors have been around for so long I thought there's a chance that someone smarter and more experienced than me could save me some time by pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again for your time and input!
Any possibility you have a crack or a liner leak, bleeding off into the oil pan or through the oiler system?
Come to think of it, I have had this happen with a few bikes and it was the check valve for the oil pump, not opening up and spiking the pressure and blowing oil lines off or blowing oil filters up.
I figure if I had a crack anywhere on the discharge side of system that would relieve pressure. Or a problem on the suction side would also be low pressure. In the diagram for this engine it shows a relief valve on the oil pump, I'm wondering if I can get to it or how easy it is to remove the pump from the bottom after oil pan is removed.
Once the pan is off you can easily get to the lube system. ....it's not difficult. If you have trouble, you can always post pics. Our experts here in combination could fix a space shuttle.
Thank you Vetech63! I'll post an update after I do it.
Yep, just as I suspected, looks just like a twin cam oil pump pressure relief valve. Lol