Hi all. I have a JD 410 backhoe/loader - Yellow. The numbers on the plate are 410-D 312522T. My research shows this to be a 1978 model but that could be completely wrong. I has stickers on it that says it is a 410C TURBO. I don't think it's either. I have a good knowledge of the workings of gasoline engines and jet engines but I am a total newbie to diesel. I generally know what a turbo looks like but I don't see one on this machine. Can someone tell me what to look for? Does anyone recognize the instrument panel? If so, can you tell me what the indicator represents in the upper left corner? The machine had numerous hydraulic and fuel leaks when I got it. I have repaired all. The major fuel leaks were on the injector pressure pump, but I have quite literally replaced everything in the fuel system but that pump. New filters, new lift pump, new suction line from tank to lift pump, and even new injectors. I put a kit in the injector pump and once I bled the air from the system it ran like new. About a week later I went out to use it again and the engine would never go above idle. Even removing the linkage on the injector pump and moving the lever from one extreme to the other made absolutely no change in engine speed. I was able to use it a little, but it would do very little work. A week or so later I finally decided to go into the injector pump again. I went over everything I had done before and couldn't find anything wrong except the large spring on the governor in the top of the unit (Roosa Master Stanadyne JDB4, seemed to be too short. at one extreme it had about 1/2" of play in it. So I stretched the spring to compensate for that. After getting it all back together, I started it up and now it would run full speed, but wouldn't adjust back down to idle. Well I figured I can work with this. I put it to work for about an hour moving about 1/2 of a 22 ton pile of sand I have, and right in the middle of that it cut back down to idle again. It's back where it was and again with the linkage disconnected, moving the lever from one extreme to the other directly on the pump itself has no effect. Can someone please give me an idea of what's going on here? Thank you in advance for any sage advice you can offer.
A turbo will look like a fat round rusty cast iron thing attached directly to the exhaust manifold, also attached to a fat round aluminum thing that's connected to the intake manifold. That looks like a '78ish 410, definitely not a 410C. I would start with the return fitting on the injection pump. Take the whole fitting off and inspect it for plugging. Then take the supply/intake fitting out of the fuel tank and check it for clogging, or tee into the supply line at the injector pump and hook up a pressure/vacuum gauge to see what it's doing. Not that those symptoms suggest a fuel supply issue, but rule that out first, cause I'd be guessing even worse to say what's going on inside the pump.
By the looks of your injection pump, it looks like you pressure washed it? If so, this can damage an injection pump quickly. (been there, done that).
Where can the water enter the injection pump to damage it? ktmccrary58, I use to own one just like this, was a 1980 but I don't remember what that gauge on the left. Possibly a water temp gauge. You may be asking about the light. I don't remember that either.
Water doesn't enter the pump, it's the cold water "shock" that distorts the inside, very "tight" tolerances are disturbed.
It wasn't pressure washed. It had been completely painted yellow and I had to use my parts washer to get all the paint off before replacing all the seals.
Cold water on a hot pump can seize the rotor from what I've heard. A seized rotor would be game over, no idle, no throttle up, no nothing. The fact that it worked like new for a week and then wouldn't rev up, then worked at full speed (but governed, not runaway, right?) for a while is odd. Can't figure that out.
Delmer, I'm with you suspecting the return check/line, any serious restriction will cut these pumps down to idle speed. Yeah, it's an original 410, '78 sounds right. I think the "D" was for Dubuque factory. In a former life I was very intimate with a 510, she and I spent many nights together in the company shop.
I put this in here once but I can't find it. The return lines are completely clear from the pump to the tank. Air goes though it easily. I removed the ball check from the pump and ran it with that completely out. There is very little flow that would run back to the tank at idle, no more than 1/4 ounce a minute. I did plug the housing with my thumb while it was running and just that alone shut the engine down. Now I am a believer that this flow should be unobstructed, but this has proven not to be the problem. Where is the best place to get a pressure reading from the pump? I have gauges and can rig up most anything. Again, all feedback is greatly appreciated.
The DB4 on my Deere has a tee at the pump inlet with a blue colored cap for a pressure test port, or bleeding port. I think I saw the same blue colored cap on a Detroit 60 series once??? With enough tubing and ingenuity you could hook up a tee without cutting your line there, but you could start by using the priming pump to see what kind of volume you get pumping it, should be a good strong shot of fuel each time you let off the priming lever. If there's no priming lever, disconnect the electric wire at the pump and have somebody crank it over for ten seconds, it should be obvious if it's shooting fuel out or dribbling it at the end. Did you pull the strainer out of the tank to check it? or check the fuel flow some other way?
I don't think this tank has a strainer. I had to remove the tank and patch it because it had several pin holes in the bottom from all the sludge that had collected below the tank. That same sludge corroded a hole into the inlet line from the tank to the lift pump, so I had to replace that line as well.
It looks like a '78. I have a 78 510 that looks just like yours (slightly larger) that has the same stamped "D" on the serial plate but it is not a 510D. D's were made in the earlier 90's i believe.
Sorry I can't help with your problem but my 1975 JD 410 has the same exact gauges and looks identical to all your pictures. Wish I had the enclosed cab and nice paint job.
Im having about the same problem your having I replaced the filters and put a new fuel pump on mine replaced the coil in top of injector pump and when started cold it will throttal up a few times then it will die or just idel id love to figure out some thing before I do a injector pump replacement at 1100 plus labor but I'm lost I've got fuil to the injector pump and seam to have at the injectors when I lossen a line so makbe I need to look at return line some more ???