Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to remove pin[axel]from idler wheel??

mathuranatha ยท 2009-05-26 04:29

Sorry fellers ,another dumb question from dumb-ass mathuranatha How do I remove the pin[axel] that goes through the center of the track idler wheel??[Pc 200-6] The axel support things that are on each end of the pin [that bolt on to the spring ,adjuster assembly] seem to be pressed on .I was going to heat up one with the oxy and try and bash the pin out but I thought I should ask as I have been damaging a few things lately . :notworthy thanks all----mat

Replies3
  1. #1QuickTrax2009-05-28 16:23

    You are going to have a wedge holding the bracket onto the idler shaft. You will need to remove it then press the bracket off of the shaft. If you put too much heat onto the bracket you will burn your seals.

  2. #2John C.2009-05-28 21:29

    As I recall you have square blocks on the ends of the shaft. If you clean the top and bottom surfaces of the blocks you should see an indent on one side. Dig it out and I think you should find a nut on a bolt. The is the bottom end of a tapered pin the goes through the block locking it onto the shaft. You have to remove that nut and the knock the pin out. They can be a bugger so have patience. Clean out the opposite side of the taper pin as best you can. I have had to drill into the center of that pin to relieve the tension. A photo of the idler would probably remind me just how that is set up for sure. Let us know.

  3. #3dirthog2009-05-29 08:21

    Idler shaft I think you will find there is a small round (1/2-3/4") pin in each of the brackets that will have to be pressed out in order to get the brackets off but as john said you may have to drill a hole in it to get it to move. the brackets will have to be pressed off too