Problem is with a 2004 John Deere 230CLC. I stepped out of the machine, the auto rev down switch was turned on. The machine started reving up then reving down on its own...also, when running the machine, we have to leave it at 80% throttle, when we run it at 100%, the machine losses power and revs down on its own. seemed like an electrical probelm but could it be fuel filters ??
If the filters have not been done in a while, do them. Perhaps try and reset the computer. When you do the filters make sure to check that the strainer in the tank (if it has one) is clean. A few years ago I was using JD 1075 combine and the thing was not doing the job 100%, first thing I did was change the main filters, no difference, then we changed the main drive belts and still no better and then towards the end of my contract I noticed that there was an after market auxiliary fuel pump down in behind the fuel tank and it had a strainer filter built into it, pulled it off and cleaned. The machine was like new after that Anyway your problem may also be air getting into the fuel supply but at this stage I would concentrate of fuel filters/strainers/blocked pipes, as I would expect a faulty computer to have self diagnoses function. I would also think that if a computer problem occurs it would go into limp home/bypass mode but I don't know much about computers on machines and generally prefer a big old lever to give me grunt, instead of a cute little button.
Hard to say from this end. Have someone up at the engine with the cover raised. Throttle it up and have them, or you, watch the throttle controller. If/when the revs start to go down, but the controller is not moving, you've got a fuel problem, not electrical. I'm not sure about the 230, but a number of smaller Deere/Hitachi machines use a small plastic screen inside a banjo bolt fitting at the primary fuel strainer/filter that clog easy.
Does the computer monitor fuel pressures?
I'm not sure, I haven't worked on one of these. I'm just thinking it the fuel actuator is holding position while the engine is changing rpms, it very well could be a fuel delivery problem. Just a guess.
Crook governor ?
It could be the throttle controller on the console in the cab. hard to tell without a laptop connected to it though. Do the basic things first..Filters etc.. A Deere with a Deere engine doesn't have the screens in the fuel lines like the Hitachi's with Isuzu engines do. If you play around with the throttle control you may be able to narrow it down if its that or not.. Find a spot in its revolution that changes RPM erratically .. Its basically a simple "volume control" so it may have a spot that has odd resistance and that will cause your RPM issues.
JonathanMA is right, check the basics but it sounds like the throttle potentiometer is done-I have changed a good number of those already. It supplies 1-4 volt signal to the controller, 4 volts being wide open. Used to be you had to change the whole console(part #4454518) but you can now change just the potentiometer(part#4609249). 385.00 for console, 50.00 for potentiometer. The downside is there are some modifications to do to make the potentiometer work & requires soldering. Depending on skill & how comfortable you are with that stuff 385.00 can be a good way to go. Before replacing anything make sure the connection to the console stuff is good, as well as the big plugs going into the controllers and the harness plugs going into the injection pump. Did you get those propel issues sorted out?
we had a prob with our 690E where a film would build up on the sensor that runs off the flywheel occasionally and screw things up....screw it out, wipe it off, put it back in. just make sure you leave the adjustment nut where it was when you take out to make sure it doesn't hit being too close, or won't sense being too far away.
It's funny you should say that . My old boss bought a 20 ton Daewoo that had been under water . He asked if i could get it going again . After drying out the computors and cleaning all the soft button contacts i could get it to idle but not rev . I went to Tandy and bought a radio volume control pot for $8 and soldered it in , it did not have a stop and would go right around but worked perfectly otherwise .
Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back with what I find out.
throttle problems Changed the filters with no improvement, looks like it is the potentiometer. We'll get that swaped out on Monday and see what happens.
Solved !! Changed out the Throttle Console, machine runs like new!! GOOD CALL !!!
Not sure but it might be worth pulling the old one apart and re-soldering it. Guess it depends on how much the part is worth but cold solders are a problem in control boxes, relays and other electrical gizmos. A particularly good example are Mercedes-Benz cruise control units of 80's vintage. Invariably they all tend to go bad and a good going over with a soldering iron usually sorts them out. I have done a couple of them now and VDO in their eternal wisdom decided to coat the board with some type of sealant that has to be removed with paint stripper. I use a rotary wire brush in a slow speed drill to remove this sealant and stripper. Takes two goes to get it all off.
I`ve got a idle control issue too.
Sorry about the repeat.
A little more info ? Make , model , symptoms etc .
I was trying to start a new thread however as a newbie i had to post...the original posters problems are solved so i guess i`m not hijacking.320 cat 9kk 1994....it will start right up and go to full throttle...i have no control to idle it down....manual or auto switch....any help would be appreciated.
Maybe the guys have overlooked your question thinking this thread is finished , I'll bump it back to the top . Or you may want to start your own now you can post . It could be a few things , faulty stepper motor , faulty potentiometer etc. Someone will be able to help you .
Thanks Iron I had a sticking cable,that would work off and on......called Cat to get a replacement....they only sell the unit which includes the motor as well.....2K, I was going to try and remove it however i decided on the 35 dollar option,push pull cable.
Newbie here as well, I have 2004 Hitachi 200 and I am having the same problems. I changed the idle control in the cab and no luck, it does not seem to be fuel related. Now the machine starts and revs wide open for a few seconds and then dies, the actuator in the rear right side compartment that controls the the throtle linkage seems real loud when the machine turns off. Any help would be great. Thanks
i have idle problem too, starts ok but when boom(or front arm whatever its called) lifts it goes to idle and begins to shut dowm (cat 320).suggestions?
OK i have a 2003 John Deere 325 . my problem is that the my skid loader has 2000 hour i did change my fuel filters and air filters the skid loader is keep indoors and is very clean .. so now what it is doing id run good at a sit still and throttle up good but under a load moving the skid loader it starts to surging up and down RPMS Please Help John Deere shop already took me for $300 to look at it . but now they want much $$$ to see if they can find out what is wrong they still do not know Thanks Todd
Welcome to HEF Todd ! This post is in the wrong place to get many views from the skid steer guys. You should start a post in the skid steer section under the compact equipment heading. Also, when you open it, I would like to know more specifics. What exactly did the dealer do? Is the surging a slow surge, or a rapid surge, what we at Deere call a "machine gun" surge?
Thanks i am new here ill try to move it. lol
You can't move it. Just start a new post in that section. I was going to tell you to see the post below, but you already did. Unfortunately, the OP has not let us know the outcome yet. HeavyEquipmentForums
i am going to try to delete it now ill keep the new post got some good places to start from some people thanks again for your help Todd
What ended up being the problem? Idle motor or the switch in cab? If I unplug idle motor I will start then have to plug in but doesn't go full throttle. Roughly half. Have to have auto idle switches in off position