Yesterday when I was greasing my backhoe I seen that I had some vertical play and some horizontal play right where the backhoe pivots. I didn't notice this before. I doubt I caused that in the 30 hrs I've put on it. I grease very often, but couldn't grease the play out applied tension and greased it till it purged then took tension off and repeated. So it looks like I'm going to have to do pins and bushings here in the near future. So i need some help. What's the best place to get a pin and bushing kit? Would I drive the pins through with a sledgehammer? Is it possible to do this without another tractor this size or a chain hoist or anything? New to working on equipment, but very mechanically inclined. Thanks any help is appreciated.
The only tractor I would have readily available to moved the backhoe off the pivot would be a little 23 hp compact Mahendra which I believe the boom on my 580sk weighs as much as... I didn't really look too closely at it, but I imagine both pins need drove towards the center and they have some sort of retainer. Is this process covered in the service manual? I'll have to look. Any help is appreciated
To start with, I've never done it, so... You should be able to move the tractor easily enough. Lay the boom down with plenty of blocks and pull the tractor forward, a pickup should be able to pull the tractor, but the little tractor might have more control. If the weight is off of the pins (and they're worn) then they should come out easily. The bushings will be tight though (if they're loose you have bigger problems), weld a couple of beads the length of the bushing, in quick succession, then let it cool completely and it should tap out.
Are you saying to block up and take off the boom then remove just the tower? then re bush it? I figured it would be easier stretch the boom out block it up then knock the pins out and just pull the backhoe forward with its own power.. I just thought about all of hydraulic line.... can this be done without removing all of them? Maybe remove the pins then use the swing cylinder and move the whole hoe off to one side? Also is there a certain direction the pins must be driven? Is it better to use a bottle jack and try to press the pins, and then the bushings? Or will a 10+ lb sledgehammer be sufficient?
I was thinking lay the boom down flat, and support the swing tower and leave it attached to the boom. But if you have to take the hoses off, then you might as well do the boom pivot bushings as well, they contribute to the swing "play"/slop just like the swing bushings. A bottle jack or porta power will work to press the bushings out, but welding is easier than setting that up. I doubt a hammer will move them very easily. The pins should tap out with a hammer.
You mean welding the I.d. of the bushing then letting it contract after it cools? I've checked ot a few times by applying pressure and taking it back off the only place I can see any play is in the main 2 pivot bushings. The only other play I've found on the entire machine is side to side play on the backhoe bucket. The ears of my bucket just appear too wide for the brackets and pins...
If a welder isn't available and you are experienced with a cutting torch just cut a slot in the bushings. They can then be driven out with a couple of taps useing a ball peen hammer and a driver. I have removed quite a few of them that way and have never so much as put nick in the bore the bushings are in.
Yes, weld a couple of straight lines on the inside of the bushing. This is standard practice "in the field".
Ok I just hope I'd be able to do this without removing all of the hydraulic hoses, because there is quite a few lines between those pivot points. It may be a while before I get around to this. It's maybe only ran a few hours a week and I have more pressing matters like getting my truck back on the road. Thanks for the assistance guys.