Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

550 starter wiring

Dadof6 ยท 2014-08-09 15:26

Hoping I can get some quick feed back on the correct wiring position to the starter as I can't remember how it was when I had to take it off. Currently I have the neg battery cable to the starter and the positive cable to the solenoid which according to my manual appears to be correct. My problem is the original fuseable link burnt up and I had to replace it. I currently have 2 bronze colored wires connected to it, one from the alternator and the other one goes to the switch I guess. Anyway does this fuseable link connect to the solenoid along with the positive cable? Any help is appreciated, this thing has been kicking my rear end for a while now.

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042014-08-09 15:55

    Yep

  2. #2Dadof62014-08-09 15:59

    Mitch, do you know if that's all that goes to that fuseable link? I have one little bleach wire that I don't know where it came from.

  3. #3mitch5042014-08-09 16:28

    Not right off, I don't. is that the wire from the switch to activate the starter solenoid, maybe?

  4. #4Dadof62014-08-09 16:33

    I don't know. There is one red wire that goes to the solenoid from the switch that according to the manual is a safety switch. When I try to trace this one I get lost in when it goes into the firewall. What's happening is everytime I attepmt to hook up the battery it (the terminal) sparks and then blows the fuse in the fuseable link. I have a new fuse on the way so I'm hoping to try it again this evening.

  5. #5Dadof62014-08-09 17:30

    Just tried the stupid thing again with the same basics results....this thing is driving me crazy! I have power to the starter from the alternator and the fuseable link but when I turn the switch I get absolutely nothing, and I'm pretty sure it blew the fuse again. PLEASE somebody in the know shoot me some advice or just shoot me.

  6. #6Dadof62014-08-16 15:54

    The answer to this one ended up being a fried alternator. Once I disconnected it from the fuseable link she fired right up. Thanks Mitch for trying to help.