Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to sell filters and other small parts

AlexW ยท 2013-01-14 22:07

Hi, I recently bought a house and have a about five boxes full of oil/fuel filters and other assorted small parts. Does anybody know of a good way to sell these online? I've tried craigslist and eBay without much success and I'm wondering if there's a place you guys go for parts. I looked around online for heavy equipment specific parts and it seems like most of the sites I found were geared toward selling the equipment itself or much larger parts. Thanks!

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042013-01-14 22:43

    If you go back to the first page and scroll down the list of forums t about the fourth from the bottom, you will see the for sale forum. Make a thread there and be as specific as you can about what you have. Good luck

  2. #2JGS Parts2013-01-14 23:29

    mate if i was you ring up the local mobs in your area that are fixing machines tell them what you got and if you are looking just to get rid of them iam sure they could offer you a good price for the lot. I wonder why they where left there?

  3. #3AlexW2013-01-15 00:04

    Thanks, I'll check that forum. The previous owner of the house died and his wife rented it out to tenants for two or three years. My guess is that they either belonged to the guy who died, or belonged to a tenant who got evicted.

  4. #4AlexW2013-01-15 00:07

    I can't post to that forum. My guess is it's because I'm new. I'll check on that again later. In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

  5. #5Hendrik2013-01-15 01:04

    Selling is all about advertising, perhaps include some examples of your ads? People are not likely to buy a filter of unknown quality, age and no warranty, when they can go to their local parts store and buy the same for a couple of dollars more. I have bought filters off the internet but these where bulk lots.

  6. #6AlexW2013-01-15 12:04

    I was pretty descriptive on craigslist and eBay and included pictures, and the prices were very low. I agree, it's probably not likely many people will want to buy 3 filters from a guy on the internet. They're in original packaging and are name brand parts though. I think it's also partially a matter of the right person seeing my listing at the right time. I listed some of my parts on here and I think I'll relist on craigslist every week and try a fixed price no time limit auction on eBay. I was just wondering if there were any websites other than general for sale sites that might get used a lot.

  7. #7JGS Parts2013-01-15 21:48

    mate ever think maybe your prices are too high? are you just trying to dump them or are you trying to make some money out of it?

  8. #8Axle2013-01-19 16:33

    Did you list what the filters fit in your ads? All the name brand filter makers have cross reference and application data on their sites. Bit of extra effort could bring in the sales, but like you said, it is getting the right buyer at the right time. Alex.