Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to take the boom off my NH LS 170 skid steer to weld

savaverka ยท 2016-07-02 13:26

Can anyone give me some hints on how to remove the boom, so I can get it welded? Please held

Replies7
  1. #1savaverka2016-07-02 13:33

    Sorry.. .meant Please help!

  2. #2td25c2016-07-03 12:15

    Are you sure the boom needs to be removed ? Where is it broke ? We have a JD 8875 ( New Holland 885 ) . We would have the same or similar boom set up .

  3. #3savaverka2016-07-03 13:40

    The main boom is cracked about in the middle and needs to be welded. Thought it would be easier to take it off to weld.

  4. #4td25c2016-07-03 15:22

    Ok , Your loader look anything like mine ? http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2471&viewfull=1#post2471 If just cracked & not bent like a pretzel we would more than likely weld in place on the machine . Might have to raise the loader & flip out the safety locks to get all around the loader frame . Would then stand on the cab or scaffold as needed to weld . There are some hydro lines on the inside of the loader arm that would need taken loose & tied up out of the way . Then wet blanket the machine to prevent fire from hot cherries in the engine or belly of the beast . Might pay to have a local in field welder take a look at it , unless you were going to do it yourself .

  5. #5savaverka2016-07-07 11:50

    It was just cracked, but was going all the way around the boom, so thought it would be easier to weld off the machine. I ended up getting a guy to weld it without taking them off. Thanks for all your help in this matter.

  6. #6td25c2016-07-09 20:47

    That's cool ! So far I keep an eye on the JD 8875 loader frame & no stress cracks yet . One thing to keep in mind on this style of loader is when prying out a rock or tree stump or even hogging dirt I like to keep the loader all the way down where it rests on the tractor frame at the front . Do the rough work like that & twist with the bucket . This method keeps from twisting & tweaking the loader frame . It's a superior time tested design , I really like the New Holland skid loaders .

  7. #7Jeepwalker2016-07-11 00:07

    They seem well built. However, I thought I heard JD was getting away from their standard vertical lift design (similar to NH's)?? Maybe others might be able to verify..