Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

how to test a water temp sensor.

ckinser1 ยท 2015-04-29 13:23

Thanks to all I almost have everything ironed out on my 590sl. I am still trying to get my water and my tranny temp to work. In the instrument cluster I have 4 open slots. I also have three loose wires. One is yellow one is yellow with a white stripe. Both of these show 13.5 volts with the engine running. The other wire is gray with a red stripe and shows no voltage. Before I go trying to connect these things how do you check the water temp sensors as being good? Thanks again.

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2015-04-30 05:27

    Yellow wire - 31T - goes to pin #10 at cluster plug - coolant temp gauge There is no yellow with white stripe associated with dash cluster - however..... Yellow with grey stripe - 32T - goes to pin #11 at cluster plug - transmission oil temp sender. *Look for the numbers on the wires also* Grey with red stripe is also not associated with dash cluster - does it have a number? To test the senders you will need to heat them in hot water & measure resistance with an ohmmeter. As to any specs doing this, I don't know. But if it measures different from cold to hot - it is working. :drinkup

  2. #2ckinser12015-04-30 07:28

    Thanks all man that is most helpful. I will get busy making the contact clips that go to the dash. Going to forge some #12 solid copper flat then bend it in the required curve. I recurved some of the contact that were a little flat and fixed my rpm guage as it would work but only after you refer it up a little. There are no numbers on the wires that I have found. Next question. How are the numbers arranged on the cluster plug. Top to bottom left to right facing the back?

  3. #3alrman2015-04-30 08:11

    Look at the plug with a magnifying glass, there should be numbers on it. All the wires should be numbered, they are spaced a long way apart, maybe under sheath / protective cover. This pic is from the schematics for the cluster plug. It should help. Please Take Note - I'm ALRman....... even my wife doesn't think I'm all man :falldownlaugh

  4. #4ckinser12015-04-30 16:58

    OK thanks alrman. I can't see your pic you posted so maybe you can tell me what these slots feed on the instrument cluster. I have a opening on #6#13#16#17. Also the unallocated wire that was gray has a orange stripe not red as I had previously stated.thanks again

  5. #5alrman2015-05-01 08:23

    #6 #13 #16 #17 - are not used & meant to be empty. Grey with orange stripe is also not associated with dash cluster. :drinkup

  6. #6ckinser12015-05-01 08:54

    Thanks alr man that is what I needed to know those other wires must be to something that is not equipped on the machine like cold start.