Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HTE Versus HVLP Paint Spray Guns

Bote ยท 2022-10-10 10:30

Anyone use an HTE spray gun to shoot equipment paint? My neighbor borrowed my old Binks #7 and let some kind of house paint dry in it. I'm painting my F350 in a couple months and decided to get a new gun. I'm also replacing some pins/bushings in my backhoe and I always paint any parts I have off the machine.

Replies7
  1. #1John C.2022-10-10 10:53

    The reduction in overspray between the old spray guns and the HVLP units is worth the cost of the new equipment. I'm hard pressed to understand someone using a Binks gun for house paint.

  2. #2Bote2022-10-10 11:36

    Yeah he told me he was spraying oil-based paint when he borrowed it 10 years ago. A year after he borrowed it, I saw it in his shop and took it home. I realized it was toast when I took it apart to clean it. The HTE (high transfer efficiency, I think) guns supposedly use less air, have less overspray and deliver a better finish. The downside is they aren't as good with higher viscosity coatings. I think they'd be fine with Case equipment paint, but I was hoping someone had used one.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-10-10 16:56

    Have you considered a really good quality airless sprayer. I have two Graco's and although I haven't used it on equipment I think it would a good job. I wish you were near me because you would be welcome to try it.

  4. #4crane operator2022-10-10 18:05

    From what I've read, HTE is primarily for shooting clear over base, and being VOC compliant. I've never owned a HTE gun. I haven't used a suction gun in years, and use a cheap HVLP gun for equipment paint. A airless will use a lot more paint than a HVLP, which can get pretty expensive if its very big equipment, and / or if you are using expensive paint. So I guess it depends on what you are using for paint for the f350, a base coat/ clear coat sounds like you could do a lot less sanding of the clear with a HTE if you're looking for a great finish, but if you're just shooting it, a HVLP should be fine.

  5. #5John C.2022-10-10 21:05

    I use an airless for houses and large buildings. I had to use one years ago to paint a log stacker. I don't know who ran faster, me or the paint.

  6. #6Bote2022-10-11 15:19

    I recently bought a low-mileage 2002 Lariat F350 4WD crew cab dually with the 7.3 Powerstroke. It was immaculate, cheap, drove like a dream but had no bed. I found out why it was so cheap after I bought it. It originally had a 6 3/4 pickup bed. 6 3/4 dually pickup beds are as rare as hens' teeth. I considered a flatbed but really wanted a pickup to haul my farm stuff around in. After looking nationwide for a few weeks, I bought an 8' dually pickup bed and shortened it by 16". The cutting, welding and installation actually only took about three hours. I now have a dependable truck-of-many-colors that will tow anything I need. This winter, I'm going to paint it with white acrylic lacquer. I did some research and found out the HTE guns are sort of a hybrid between HVLP and the traditional. HTE is a certification. The traditionals, like my Binks, put 30-35% of the paint on the surface. HLVPs have a transfer efficiency of 60-65% while the HTEs have a 70-90+% transfer efficiency. I'm going to try one for the truck.

  7. #7joe--h2022-10-11 16:56

    Considering where the price of paint & thinners have gone I'm thinking a brush. Get 100% of it on. Might look like hell but it's a truck? Joe H