Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214 Starts, dies then runs.

Bman351 ยท 2022-10-10 10:45

Hi, I have a JCB 214 Series 3 backhoe that will start right up when it's cold but immediately will shut down after a couple of seconds. If I crank the engine over for 15-20 seconds the engine will fire up and I can operate it all day with no issues. I can also shut the backhoe off for hours and this issue will not occur. It seems like this issue is only present if the backhoe is sitting for a day or more. So far I've tried a new/clean sediment bowl, new fuel filter and bleed the system. I should also mention when starting the backhoe up cold the issue will subside if I immediately hit the throttle pedal. Any ideas of what might be going on here? Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2022-10-10 13:00

    Sucking air or leaking fuel back to the tank. That's my rough guess. Check for any cracked rubber hoses, or cracked fittings. Does it have a transfer pump with a primer on it? could try pumping it several times before starting to see if it doesn't die that way.

  2. #2Bman3512022-10-10 14:10

    Good idea. I'll try priming it with the lever on the transfer pump and go from there. Thanks.

  3. #3boone2022-10-18 20:28

    This sounds a lot like what my 310 is doing. Interested to hear what you find out.

  4. #4Bman3512022-11-09 12:58

    So I found the issue with my backhoe. The supply line from the tank was leaking around a fitting. It was a slow air leak but no fuel leaking out....tricky to find.(I actually heard it hissing when I was priming the engine). So what was happening the backhoe after sitting for a couple of days was leaking fuel back to the tank and the engine was only starting on the little amount of fuel in the lines. Anyways thanks for the help!!

  5. #5boone2022-11-09 14:17

    Thanks for reporting back. Glad you found the issue.

  6. #6Chuck madsen2025-01-12 11:22

    Hello I have an 86 212 series II JCB backhoe with a perkins turbo 4 engine was surging 150 rpm while digging but stayed running then when shut down wouldn't restart. Water seperator full and bubbles seen when cranking. Fuel filter was about 1/4 empty.filled filter with fuel and opened bleed on top. Cycled primer on lift pump and heard like bubbles in fuel tank and nothing coming out of filter assembly. I'm going to replace the lift pump and look for any leaks both sides. Have had this problem before but never had it keep running out like now. Been doing this on/off for months. Finally gonna replace lift pump. Anybody have this issue .