Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hub-pilot drums with stud-pilot wheels?

Shimmy1 ยท 2023-06-11 10:35

Working on a trailer I just purchased, and discovered that somewhere along the line, hub-pilot drums were installed. Drums seat properly on the hub, were stuck on, and wheels were tight. Can a guy get away with this on a trailer axle? I'd guess the potential issue would be the inner nut not holding the inner wheel quite enough? Thoughts anyone?

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-06-11 13:01

    As long as the hub/pilot area allows drum to run flush with hub surface is what matters. But some years back I ran into a tight drum to hub pilot fit with a certain brand of drum, had to run a 2"X 1" flap wheel around the inside a few passes and worked fine. What is the drum number or a pic.

  2. #2Shimmy12023-06-11 18:53

    So, it appears someone changed two hubs out, and put hub-pilot drums on the other 4. What an idiot. A guy can obviously see the drum is not centered on the studs. I'll be having to buy at least 4 stud-pilot drums. Or, can I use those centering bushings on the studs? This has been suggested.

  3. #3Truck Shop2023-06-11 19:56

    The pilot bore is what matters as it fits the hub tangs, stud pilot and hub pilot wheels have same inside diameter. As long as the drum fits snug over the hub when installed is what matters. Hub pilot fits loose also over the studs until wheels are installed then it centers on the tangs of hub. Install one mount the wheels and check runout. If drum doesn't center it's self on hub then yes you will need drums.