Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Huber D-1300 Motor Grader Questions

skarl ยท 2004-08-22 19:40

Just purchased a Huber D-1300 grader and am waiting for delivery. I am interested in any information anyone has on this grader. I will be using it primarily (95%) to grade a one mile dirt road back to my property as well as a 1/2 mile of dirt roadway on my property. Anyone with experience with this grader or knowledge about it please respond. Do you know of the reputation of this grader or the Huber D-1000 series as a whole? Do you know anything about capabilities or specs of this grader? Any other information would be appreciated as well. This is my first experience with a motor grader but I have been operating skid steers, crawler dozers and farm tractors for several years. Thanks, Karl

Replies18
  1. #1BRL2004-08-28 10:06

    Welcome to the site! I grew up in the edge of the Barrens. I don't know any of the details you are looking for. But I do remember a couple of those being used at construction sites I worked at in the past, and I don't remember any major cursing of them by their operators. Good luck with the new purchase.

  2. #2skarl2004-08-28 12:22

    Huber grader arrived Got it yesterday and it is in great shape! Got it at my house in Southern Ocean and will be moving it up to my property in Berkeley Township in a couple of weeks after I give it a thorough going over. Here's a pic. Thanks for writing. Karl

  3. #3Steve Frazier2004-08-29 10:40

    It looks to be in pretty good shape! I've never heard of Huber before, but with that Detroit peeking out from under the hood ear muffs will surely be required equipment!

  4. #4digger242j2004-08-29 11:19

    I don't know if anyone else noted in the picture--there's obviously enough room in the operator's quarters for a companion. (Probably not good practice when actually trying to work with the machine--my recollection of the few hours I've spent on a grader is that all the concentration I had wasn't quite enough to do a really fine job, let alone having somebody there to distract me...)

  5. #5skarl2004-08-29 13:36

    Just showing my boy the controls. He won't be spending a lot of time in it. He'd rather drive a quad. Nice machine in great shape. Still giving it a good checking out, tightening hoses and testing controls. Won't move it up to its final resting place for a couple of weeks. I have it at my house now but I am building a new home on 25 acres I bought a few years ago. Unfortunately, I have a mile of dirt road to get back and in New Jersey (which still has some rural parts) we have this stuff called sugar sand which is like driving through dry quick sand. Hopefully, the sand will mix with gravel and clay I dump on the road and give it a better composition. Tried clearing the road with a small chinese dozer and a box blade but it only stays flat for a couple of days and really taxes the dozer. The grader should do much better. Thanks for the replies, Karl

  6. #6RonG2004-08-30 03:55

    Huber made a zillion of those long farm tractor type graders with the blade slung underneath of them and they can do a lot of work if you give them a chance.They were called the "Maintainer"and there are still a lot of them around.I have prepared a lot of road for paving with them.Huber is an old company dating back to the early forties.That big Huber will outlive the owner based on the service it will see now ) Ron

  7. #7kamerad472004-08-30 16:43

    How old is that machine?? $ is a full time clutch!!! Finding parts maybe aprobllem!!!

  8. #8Steve Frazier2004-08-30 21:39

    Ron, you're post jogged my memory! I've seen a lot of those Maintainers over the years....

  9. #9skarl2004-09-02 20:52

    Don't know age for certain...waiting for paperwork to arrive. I think it is around 1970. It works great...just need a new radiator hose since one is leaking from being abraded by the fan. Didn't cost much but more than some that age but it was taken care of and all the hydraulics had recently been inspected and serviced. I'll be keeping it for a long time so I am sure I will get my money out of it.

  10. #10skarl2004-09-02 20:54

    It's actually pretty quiet in normal operation but once I give it a decent amount of throttle it roars loud as anything.

  11. #11cat3202004-09-05 08:27

    I just realized that Hubber make all those mini grader/front shove machines you may have seen on paving contractor trucks.

  12. #12Dusty2004-09-16 23:53

    nice toy

  13. #13Motor Grader2007-04-18 11:52

    I realize this post is old, but I was wondering how you like your Huber?

  14. #14dirtman552010-01-24 08:38

    Huber Graders Hi Karl, Seen your old post looking for Huber information, I have a manual & parts book so maybe I can get info to you if needed. Have you put much time on it yet? Looks in great shape! Dirtman55

  15. #15jwar1002011-01-21 21:26

    I have a Huber D-1500 and still use it.

  16. #16MalcolmG2011-06-24 23:09

    Huber Graders I just recently bought a 1500 myself. Haven't got it home yet, fixing the brakes so we can drive it. Looks like yours has a 6V-53 in it by the pics?? Mine has the V-8 Cummins with the automatic trans.

  17. #17bwc2011-09-10 14:48

    Hi eveyone, I have a Huber 9-D Motor grader from 1963. Cummins model "J" engine and Dana transmission. It has been in use for the past 2 years with no problem until this week. I was backing up on a pass and something happened to the transmission..... "lots and lots of noise then stoped dead in my tracks". I only have forward and no reverse. I'm sure it is inside the transmission because the link arm still travels the full distance it used to when it was working. All gears (1-3/hi-lo) still work, just not the reverser lever and forward doesn't feel right. I looked on the web for information or manuels and have found nothing. Not sure what to do at this point. Any advide would be welcome. thanks, bwc

  18. #18JKarr2011-11-17 22:21

    Hello Dirtman, would you have any information for a Huber 9DG? I have just bought an old one for farm use and have no books. The wiring is shot and have to jump start the Detroit. Thanks Joe