https://www.purplewave.com/auction/210812/item/IL9872/Huber-Warco-Graders-Motor_Grader-Minnesota 6d huber warco. I can find virtually no info on this so I suspect parts may be less available. I believe it has a 4.7 cummins I haven't gone to look yet, but may this week. Would have to ship 70 miles. Owner said it starts runs and moves, it was labeled inoperative due to some functions not working. He got it 10 years ago in a job trade and used it seldom. Last job was grading the parking lot where it sits 3 years ago.'ve seen a few graders go for less than scrap but so far away shipping killed it.. I would use it some. I need to build a 1/2 mile driveway and possibly some snow removal with the occasional waterway etc. I have a well equipped fabrication shop and am a pretty fair mechanic from a previous life. Thougnts? Info?
you want it, go for it. It might break eventually and you'll swear at me for not telling you to buy a Cat, which you can find cheap enough also. I'm not afraid of oddball old machinery, if you can look at it, and it starts ok, drives all wheels, doesn't leak too terrible from the engine and drivetrain, then you can figure out the other stuff. You'll get good at hydraulic hoses, and welding and grinding if you want to tighten it up. but it looks like it's usable as it is, with the usual small engine, and hydraulic issues.
I tend to be outbid on almost everything I'm interested in as I'm cheap. If I like it I'll still only go scrap price with shipping. That's why I usually end up with orphans as no one wants them. To me the orphans need to be simple so I can repair or make parts as none are ever available There is usually some info but I can find none on this one. Just not sure if I'm nuts to even consider this one, it's truly one of a kind it appears
I'd have to bid on that if it was close.
Well then to be quite honest I'm glad you live in Washington
There is the company story though getting parts would be a slim chance https://hubermaintainer.com/pages/about-us You can find a few books by searching huber 6d2
I thought you'd appreciate that vote of confidence. I think it's a worthwhile project.
Seems like I'll become the huber warco expert which is a sad statement. Going up Saturday to familiarize myself with it. All I can find is a parts manual. Not sure I'll need a manual to tell me anything I need will be obsolete or will need to be made, repaired, or retrofitted. Should be a very simple machine.
congrats !
I understood it that this is still in the courtship phase, not a sealed deal yet. But it sounds like she's a good cook at least.
I wasn't aware that Huber ever made a conventional frame grader. All that I've inspected looked like a tractor frame with the blade riding underneath and in the middle of the tractor frame. They are or were very common for the asphalt companies to own and use till completely worn out.
When I google it It seems they may have made 2 and there is only one left in existence, and I just happen to be the proud owner. Too bad it's not a shelby cobra or tucker car instead
Alright went up to look at what I bought sight unseen. I did pretty dzmn well. It was listed as inoperative and apparently what it was is they couldn't get it started because of too small a battery while the company was there to take pics. Slightly different story than what I heard but irrelevant at this point. Starts, moves, all hydraulics work. Lots of items needing attention from my perspective but could operate as is. Dad found a tag on the seat, filled in by pen but I was able to read the date, 8-11-66. Interesting as I bought it 8-12-21. As info is fleeting at best, any ideas on fluids? Capacities, types. I was going to if nothing else look at other graders from this Era to try generalizations.
double congrats!! If it loads itself you are in the money!
Back in the day, Minnesota DOT had quite a few of these type Huber graders. I don't know the exact model. but was similar to this one. FWD
So if they weren't scrapped should be around somewhere. Did some due diligence and it seems to be a c160 cummins. Should have got the numbers when there.
there one it running condition in a machinery park at Isaford Qld Aust ex shire machine
Wow, that is awesome! I'm really jealous.
That machine looks nearly identical to the old POS that I own. I have a 1965 Huber with 453 or 471 Detroit somewhat abandoned on my farm. It's a very faded State of TN orange that looks like a nasty pink color. Brakes were always terrible but working. It's a fairly heavy machine that, as long as you did not allow tire bounce, would lay a pretty good grade. The biggest problems that I had with my machine are: sticking hydraulic controls if not used often enough and main input shaft seal on power steering box would blow out. It's ugly but it was cheap and it made me good money
Hey there.... if'n you still frequent these parts... do you still have your Huber-Warco grader? I am looking at purchasing a 9DG version and was curious if you found the info you were in search of for yours and also how well it accommodated your needs.
Yep I'm still around and so is the warco. She built a 1/2 mile driveway. May as well call it a road and did it with few complaints. Cost 30k for materials so far, not 100% finished as we still need to cap it with some number 2 after home construction is done. It built a bridge as well. Total cost would have been almost 100k I am told. Have a total of 2k in grader. Had a leaking blade cylinder. Any issues were mostly operator oriented. Parts are a thing of the past but luckily I haven't really broke anything. If anything major went, clutch, engine, etc I think I might try to keep the blade/circle, hydraulics etc and try to create a frankengrader. The engine is tired but starts and runs and the operator is slow so 2nd or 3rd gear are ok for the work I do. I overheated the motor and thought, well it was a good run. Let her cool down, fixed the leak and it came back stronger, now hits on all 6 cylinders and I run out of traction before power. Earlier in the year I was blowing smoke and an old farmer came by and said to and I quote " your cylinders are glazed from being to easy on it. Work her hard she'll come back". He was right. I'd do it all over again. I did download a manual for iirc a 4d it's a military manual and is close enough. If you want an old grader then there is alot of stuff you will need to figure out, but it's not too difficult. There is a manual for my grader on ebay but last time I checked it was like 400.00 but at this point I've figured out most everything I needed to. Parts for the motor......forget about it, most e erything else so far can be figured out.
Had a couple more minutes so I'll add I love repeat love having hydraulic controls, never ran an early cat but from what I hear I love my wrists too much to learn. I have had an issue with the tranny x2. It got stuck in gear and I needed to crawl under and pop the linkage. I also have no brakes, I'm currently working on a very large rotor and caliper to attach to the tranny in place of the drum e brake. It should be OK for what I need it for. Which is private use on private homesteads. Also my research seemed to point that most warcos came with the screaming Detroit engine. Gotta believe parts may be easier to find. It seems the cummins was an orphan.
Parts for Detroit series 53, 71, and 92 still easy to find. Beware Cummins C180...6cyl single head prone to cracking and Sweitzer supercharger very $ and near unobtainium status
Our Wabco is up for auction, April 3rd. Starts right up. Built scads of roads with it. Tires are dry rotted. Blade sideshift cylinder leaks. I know it'll go for scrap value or less. Auction Listing - Hunyady Auction Company www.hunyady.com
They have parts for 1960s models. I talked to them a few months ago