I know most of you will sawy neck and neck 50/50 but I'm one of those people who need to be reassured so I can get the best product. I run a smal logging business and am thinking about buying another chainsaw. I currently have husquvarna 450 and it's great but I haven't got to experiment with Stihl or Ecco so if you could be if so helpful to tell me what you prefure and why that would be great Stihl husquvarna Ecco thanks
I can't say about Ecco, but Husqvarna and Stihl both have professional grade saws that are a step up in every regard from their "homeowner" grade saws like the 450. The Husqvarna professional grades saws are mostly XP, and about double the price of the similar homeowner saw. Stihl does the same thing, but as far as I know you have to look it up to see which are professional saws, or look at the price
Husky and Stihl are both popular around here with loggers. Echo seems to be popular with commercial tree trimming contractors. Having owned all three brands, I like Stihl's pro line over the others. Big reason is that we have a good dealer close.
husquvarna. nothing else
That doesn't fly. Why? I'll put my MS440 Mag against ANY Husky. Hands down. I can't stand the low torque of the Huskys. Every one I've ran you have to get it wound tight to maintain a load.
I don't know, but my Stihl 056 from the late 70's still cuts well.
If you're talking pro saws I'd go Stihl. Homeowner saws then it'd be a toss-up between Stihl & Husqvarna. I still have a Stihl 064 from the same era and I know I could put it up against anything "modern" and it wouldn't disgrace itself.
Ill second that on the 064. Best saw I ever owned
I think all new saws are choked out from the factory (at least in North America) all are tuned to be emission compliant.... Modify and open up the muffler, bit of porting and carb work and you've got something to talk about. Most powerful saws I ever had were an old 2101XP Husky (no chain brake, auto chain oiler with thumb pump for an extra shot when you need it) and my old 3120XP Husky. Both were just pure torque monsters. My current firewood saws are a 365 special Husky, good little all round saw, haven't played with it yet and does lack bottom end power, my old 61 had more all round power and felt lighter... And i've got a MS260 Stihl, lighter then the Husky but more fragile feeling also I hate the goofy all in one plastic choke kill switch Stihl's have.... Feels like it's gonna break every time I use it but the simple kill switch just broke on the 365 Husky so go figure:beatsme I think any brand professional grade saw will serve one well as long as it's well cared for. Where I grew up on Vancouver Island in the 80's, damn near all the fallers ran Huskys, there is a saw shop (Walkers) in Nanaimo who used to custom build/tune (they might still?) saws for loggers, they called them Walkerized once they built them up and you could tell from a mile away that they were not your average saw anymore! :cool2
I had an 066 Stihl at one point as well, it had a great power/weight ratio and was a good reliable saw, should have never sold it....
It depends on the type of wood you cut, global location etc. What brand of saws get the best service in your area? If you can find a genuine Stihl MS660 - a good basic saw. Otherwise Husqvarna while the other electronic saws evolve.
That kind of question will generate a certain level of cheerleading from some. But to try to be objective. Both Husky and Stihl have a good reputation. The differences are slight and choice would come down to personal preference. Go on dealer. And btw, don't forget Jonsered.
I can't comment on other brands but I've been using Stihl products for 30+ years and have never been disappointed. The machine can sit for months and will start with one or two pulls even with this junk gas available today.
I am on first one @Husquvarna. Love it so far.
I love my Husky 266XP and my Stihl 026. My Echo 35 is a great trail saw that can do an amazing amount of work for its size.
I have used Jonsered for the last 30 years in my hobby logging. Husky and Jonsered come out of the same factory. Just different skin applied. We always have had a reliable local Jonsered dealer that made the choice easy. On another note every time I get nostalgic and start up one of my 30 year old saws of any brand I really notice how bad the vibration is that was prevalent in them old power houses. No wonder my hands hurt today. I'm sure much of it comes from running them all day back when we logged full time and cut everything by hand.
The vast majority of mine are Stihl mainly due to the dealer here. He has since retired and there’s another dealer that has both. Plus my custom guy usually gets Stihl stuff. My biggest saw is an old school Husky 2100 and it’ll work your *** off but when you need it, you need it. My fav is a 440 Stihl with a 460 top end. A little smaller and lighter but has plenty of power. The saltiest one I have is a 461 that’s been ported and squished. It’ll run a 25” bar like nothin and it’s well balanced. Runs a 30” great but it’s a little off kilter. Usually I leave the 30” on the 660 which has been tweaked too. I am saw poor! It’s an affliction I tell ya!
Husqvarna all day, every day. They run higher RPM but less torque than Stihl. The vibration reduction from their mounting system makes a huge difference.
We have a great Stihl dealer close to home . Carry allot of parts & product on hand . My favorite chain saw is the " Farm Boss " with 20" bar . Fairly light & easy to handle . Good all around saw to pack around for tasks . https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/farm-and-ranch-saws/ms271/ Also use a Stihl pole saw . It's sure handy for trimming tree limbs . https://www.stihlusa.com/products/pole-pruners/professional-pole-pruners/ht250/ As a feller gets older he likes to set in the seat and work the throttle & levers . Favorite tree hacker hands down is a Rome K/G blade . Hit the tree at about 1,800 RPM . LOL!
Buy whatever brand you have good service and parts from, the best saw in the world still needs to be fixed, for me its Stihl, hands down due to the dealer.
Same story Randy . Dealer is customer friendly and has a lot of parts & machines on the shelf .
I can't recall all the saws we've had over the years, both brands and also models, been through so many dealers its not funny, some died, some retired, some were beyond worthless, others great and everything in between. Thinking back now, not sure how we got it all done, then again, not sure why we did most of it in the first place, there certainly were easier ways to make a living and heat a house and shop. We did wood working for a hobby, still do, but saws were the first things picked up, and the last thing set down, used hours on end, days on end and weeks and months on end, both used and abused beyond words. They did make my life easier, but hydraulics have made my life much easier still, now have a firewood processor and someday going to have a feller buncher before I die, if for nothing else, just because I've always wanted one and couldn't justify it. For me now, the ideal chainsaw is the one I DON"T have to run or keep running, I now understand my grandpa's and dad's comment of been there done that, had about enough. So for me I really do enjoy it when I can hand the saw to someone else and point and say, that one there, cut it down and work it up enough so we can handle it with heavy equipment and watch as it gets done and taken care of. My next step in life is do exactly what my grandpa and dad did, call the kids and say, could you bring your saw over and do this for me, [it then comes with both an operator and mechanic] bring the grand kids along as well to help, I'm finding this very enjoyable as time progresses and could care less what brand of saw it is, what size, or how new, in the end they all do the same job.
We still heat with wood . Mostly as a back up in the homes in case of power outage . Keeps the Stihl busy in the fall of the year . Old Stihl don't work to bad on wood carving . Use it to rough out a new bow to speed up the process & finish with a draw knife . I left a few saw chain gouges on the last bow . LOL ! HeavyEquipmentForums
Husqvarna and Stihl both have professional grade saws that are a step up in every regard from their "homeowner" grade saws like the 450.
Back from the dead! I've only been using a chainsaw for a few years, but I'm giving them a workout when I use them. I started with a small Stihl 16" bar, which, when I could get it running, was a nice manageable saw to learn on. Then I got a bigger Husqy 455 Rancher (I think) with a 20" bar. While I agree that the Husqy torque can be a problem it's been an excellent saw otherwise. That being said since I've gotten the backhoe I've not used the chainsaw much. It's much more satisfying to knock a tree over and drag it out back. I've got a feeling I'll be deep in a saw this weekend. Uh, also, when they say 50:1 gas to oil ratio they really mean it. I've got a bunch of gas cans sitting around and while I thought I added oil to the one I was filling the saw up with, a lack of compression and engine seizure told me otherwise. It's no fun to unintentionally buy two 500 dollar saws in about a year.
With aftermarket parts like they are that saw could be fixed for a reasonable cost. Or sell it on eBay. I see parts saws sell for what I think are ridiculous prices! I assume the 455 bit the dust?
I had a dealer tell me the better Huskies have the serial number tags riveted on them like mine. The ones made to compete in the low price market are from other countries. They have stickers for the serial numbers. HD Poulans are yellow? I have only seen small ones. Stihl has been my choose for several years due to dealer support. If they have different grades how do you tell?
Stihl's have two grades of saws, homeowner models and the pro line of saws built for those that use them hard and often. As to how to tell the difference, you'd have to ask the dealer or look them up online, it might have something to do with the numbering as well of the saws. I've never run or owned anything but the pro line so I'm not familiar with the homeowner models at all. I was thinking the major difference was in the crank and bearings sizes and the jug and piston being heavier, but don't quote me on that.
Husqvarna has three lines the XP the pro line, the farm/ranch line which is basically a pro saw that doesn’t turn the rpms, and finally the homeowner line like your rancher. Stihl the even numbered saw are the professional and the odds are the homeowner saws.
Yep, it has seized up and was no good. I probably got taken a bit but my dealer gave me a deal on the new one if I left my old one with him. He probably did pretty well on it. Oh well, live and learn.
Not sure about the odd and even numbering on Stihl saws, the pro line is 262 and those series of saws, 362 series, 462 series and 661 series, and 880 magnum, the next older vintage were 361, 461, 660 and 880, older still were 360, 460, 660 and 880, the last two have been made for decades. Homeowner models are from 170, 180, 211, 250's and 251's. They now have farm and ranch saws, that are mid use saws they call them. 150, 193, 201,271,291,311, 391 saws. If your hunting used saws, you'd have to ask the dealer exactly what models are considered what.
On the newer generation if you look at the middle number it’s an even to make a pro saw including the 201 top handle.
except three models of the 180 and two of the 181 all of which are homeowner saws and one model of 201 which a farm and ranch saw.
We have all 3 brands. 372xp husky. 291 and 391 stihl. I think that’s correct and a CS590 echo. Hands down the echo is a better Saw. Have had the echo since 2013. Not once has is been repaired. The others have all had issues and the husky rebuilt twice in 6 months. Actually just got the husky back from the second rebuild and it was running really good till a big log crushed it. I think it was running to lean the first two times. But we never adjusted it ourselves.
We heat our house with wood. I've had an 031 Stihl since the 70's, it's cut countless cords of wood and has been a stellar piece of equipment. It's been getting to a place where I have to keep fussing with the carb adjustments so I bought a new Stihl 391 this fall. I cut a couple of cords with it so far. Too soon to give it much of a review, but so far I'm happy with it. It's one pound lighter (feels the same to me) and a little more power. It's a hungry saw!
I imagine they may not make carbs that fit your old saw anymore, but I was amazed when I bought a new carb for the Stihl saw I had for a bit. Brand new, working like a charm, for like 18 bucks.
I put a rebuild kit in it and it ran good for a few hours and then it got to where it wouldn't idle. Make a few adjustments, good for a while, then won't idle. It's been getting more temperamental the past few years. I was complaining to the wife and she said why don't you just get a new one. An hour later...new saw!
Ya gotta love a wife like that!
Yup, she's a keeper
I got one too! (on the retry!)
Back in the early 90's, when I was taking the Master Logger Course, I asked the instructor and several of the other students the same question regarding saws. To quote the instructor, "They are both great saws but, if you want something easy to get parts for, get a Stihl. If you want something needing less service and maybe more dependable, get a Husky." It was an opinion. I had never run either saw before that. I was handed a new Husky 272XP the day we were out in the field practicing the "open face" cut approach. DAMN, I never had anything in my hands that would cut so fast! All I currently had at home was my father's old Shindawa and Poulan. They were slow, had no chain brakes and less than dependable. I NEEDED a real saw for my new business so, on the way home from class, I stopped at Bailey's when they had a store in Jackson and purchased a new 272XP starter kit that included everything I needed except the experience. Bailey's was also the store that furnished the saw for the class to use. Thankfully, saw chaps came with that kit and saved my leg a few years later. I would still be using that same saw today had it not been stolen from a jobsite. What did I replace it with? A 385 XP. I keep a 20", 28" and 52" bar for the saw. It is the only saw that I own. It is all that I need. I don't cut on a daily basis but when I do, my cuts are fast and efficient. I prefer to spend my time in an air conditioned cab rather than running a saw. But, when I need the saw, this one never fails me. Since my first 272, I've had a few hours running other people's Stihls. Nice saws, good performance but at the end of the day, I will chose my Husky every time.
52" Bar is insane!
That 52" bar made cutting this red oak much easier. It measured 64" wide at the cut. Yes, I've cut a few larger than this but this was the largest tree that I ever mulched to date.
Yeah, I guess that would do it! That's a giant tree! Did you mulch that entire tree or did any of it make it to the mill? Your answer may make me cry a little...
what are the tires on that trailer? That's a heck of a load on a tag.
I have a Stihl MS290 and Ms310. Both bought used and they run great but both currently have inop bar oiling. More stuff to fix, project numbers 155, 156 lol. Maybe Ill go buy a new husky and sell the others.
Never used an Ecco. Had good luck with Stihl and Husky, however. For a cutoff saw, cutting asphalt or concrete, the Husky will outlast the Stihl. Our company has no small engine maintainence program, and a lot of those saws see no TLC. I cringe when I see guys beating the air filter to death and putting it back in. They run hard. wide open for a full tank of gas, fill up and go again. Some saws only last a season, but the Huskys seem more up to the task.
Absolutely the best saw to own- the one you gave to your son-in-law. The one he knows he still ain't paid for.....
I wanted to buy a quick saw and i had a Horse tiller i fixed up to trade in. They to places here sell Husqvarna or Dolmar. The Dolmar dealer has several guys working in the shop and the other place was wanting to down size so i thought if i had a problem Dolmar would be the way to go. The saws coil went bad i took it in and it sat there 6 weeks or longer i finally went and got it ordered a coil from them and fixed it my self. I was mad a stihl dealer opened up here i thought about selling the Dolmar and buying a Stihl but who knows how they would treat me.
I don't rely on the dealer for anything, anymore. I used to think it mattered, but paying attention to how the people around me have been treated by a wide variety of dealers has taught me that learning to fix my own stuff would get me the best service. As for saws, I own Stihl, Echo, Holzfarma (chinese), old Homelite and Husqvarna. They all cut wood, they all have their benefits. The Stihl (MS362) I bought new in 2012 has been an absolute runner of a saw for its class and extremely dependable. The Echo (CS-355T), I've had for 2 years and has had an issue with kill switch and recoil. I repaired both issues fairly quickly, but ended up with downtime on a job. The Homelites (410 and 540) are getting hard to get repair parts for as they're orphans and haven't been made for 25+ years. The Chinese saw is a 92cc powerhouse, but very new yet. I already have an issue with oil pump and chain tensioner. The Husqvarna 350 is a runner, but the fuel line keeps cracking inside the tank. I replace with genuine Husqvarna part, and a couple years later, it happens again. When it runs, the Husky is a screamer for a 50cc homeowner saw. I run a variety of bars from 14" up to 32", depending on task at hand. Chain varies with project as well, though the bigger saws mostly run skip tooth, full chisel.
Bought a feller buncher back in 2018 and pretty much retired all the chainsaws for now, as they say, sitting in the seat pulling levers and using hydraulics is definitely the way to get things done, should have done that 30 years ago and the upside to that is, everyone wants to run it, add a firewood processor into the mix and now we can cut and process 50 plus cords of firewood a year in a few weekends and nobody has to pickup a chainsaw, next on the list of must have's is a top loading furnace so we can fill it with a skid steer and then handling and heating with wood might not be so bad for a few more years.
There is no guarantee we will be ALLOWED to heat with wood in a few years. They don't need wood fire heat in DC after all.
Wood is a renewable resource.
But we are all going to die when the seas rise from the global warming caused by the smoke!
Diesel and gasoline smoke.
Most towns and quite a few townships have already outlawed any wood burning furnaces, quite a few insurance companies will also void your insurance if the wood burner is inside or even those outside need to be x number of feet away from any building or they'll cancel you as well. My insurance company has gone as far as to determine how far away from the outside of the outdoor boiler the firewood can be stored.............................yet I can make any kind of waste oil burner I want to put in my shop and there are absolutely no regulations what so ever as to its construction or use and they'll cover that no questions asked.............I had to get that in writing because i didn't believe it being told to me by the local agent. So according to my insurance company burning wood is bad, waste oil is great and ironically there is no law against burning waste oil anywhere near me as long as its done inside something and not in the open, go figure. To add to the insanity, several insurance companies have already banned large scale new oil storage in a shop setting, no longer will 30 or 55 gallon drums or bulk oil storage be allowed to be stored in the shop or even on the property, yet you can have as many 5 gallon pails of new oil you want, as in thousands of gallons of new oil in 5 gallon pails, then if that's not bad enough, waste oil isn't considered a fire hazard, yes read that last sentence again, so thus you can have as much waste oil as I want in my shop at any one time, in any form of storage I want, 5 gallon pails, open buckets, 500 gallon tanks or even several thousand gallon tanks to be burned in any kind of waste oil burner I want to build or buy, to burn the waste oil, that the insurance company deems isn't flammable, yes thats right, read that again, I had to request that in writing as well because it made no sense to me when told to me by my local agent. Wood might be renewable, but that has nothing to do with being able to actually heat with it, you also need to remember every single tree hugger out there lives in a house build out of wood, but yet logging is a bad thing and should be banned forever in order to save all the tree's?? except of course those that they need to build their own houses out of so they have a home to actually live in..............right?? or better yet all those that flock to the save the planet protests, all show up in their vehicles to protest how bad fossil fuels are for the environment. When you guys get that all figured out, maybe explain it to me so it somehow makes sense to anyone.
It would suck to live in Iowa. Most every house here has a fire place. Lots of wood fired plant heaters. You can find wood stored in most any neighborhood you drive through. Worked with and for insurance companies and adjusters for years and never heard of a clause limiting residential wood heat.
Wait until the EPA decides it is too much pollution. It will end with the stroke of a pen and many people will be LITERALLY left out in the cold.
Not going to lose sleep over something that may happen. More than likely it may not.
Scoff at the Echo stuff, but I’m growing attached to my Japanese CS-590. Bought it for a job last summer and was hoping to get one season from it. It’s awesome. I was able to remove the anti-tamper screws and adjust the carb properly. Muffler was easy to modify. Stihl and their silly electronic carburetors. That’s fine if there is a Stihl dealer within reasonable distance. I can buy Echo parts on Amazon.
Love my 620 echo (pretty much the same as the 590). Found a new 461 Stihl last fall and jumped on it as it's not m-tronic. I like it so far. Never had a husky, maybe I'll try one next time.
I have an Echo pole saw. Likely the best starting engine of all the 2 strokes that I own. VERY dependable.
I forgot, I have one of those too, a PPT-2620H lol, as well as some other echo stuff. I'm a big fan. The only thing I bought from them that I wouldn't recommend is a cs-400.
I use Stihl at my ranch and have 4 professional chain saws one of which is 22 years old, a brush cutter, pole saw edger and blower. They all run great. The trick is to do maintenance, run non ethanol fuel, and always let them warm up prior to going to high speed to help prevent piston scuffing. Like it has been said many times on this forum you need a local dealer you can trust. You will need chains, bars, blades...
Its not just Iowa, its many states near me have similar laws on the books and getting more every day. Its not so much the state as the towns and cities within each state that will determine what becomes law in those areas, we still as of yet have open burning in most rural area's, many states don't and haven't for years/decades. As for worrying about something that probably won't come, doubt it will come locally, more like on a national level would be a guess then forcing your state into compliance might be closer to how it might go, but since that's political, we don't have to worry about discussing it, but that whole radical thinking in other areas, turns out the west has many forest fires that seem to be an issue for air quality in the rest of the country and I do believe its being discussed, time will tell just what comes out of it...............if its anything like most areas, first in order to save those tree's, they need to ban burning wood..............yes that's the answer, then forest fires will be a thing of the past........crazy how some think isn't it??
Yes they do, but wind and solar don't and are now considered the best solution to save the planet, renewable has nothing to do with it.