I have a leaking outrigger cylinder leaking. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed the set screw on the gland is broke off. Any advice would be helpful. The screws are so small to try to drill and easy out. It is on a Case 580 Super L series 2
Spray it with penetrating oil and let it sit for a while. If it isn't beat up too bad take a mechanics pointed pick and a small hammer. At the outer edge of the screw very gently tap on it to try and turn it counterclockwise. Sometimes the come out with very little effort.
If it is tight & won't come out using Tinkerer's method, try to rotate the gland, just rocking from side to side. If there is any movement it will help loosen the screw. If no glory, centre punch the middle & drill it out, using a small drill size that will make it disappear .... just don't drill right through the gland!..... If the hole is a little smaller, the remaining metal will tear up during the gland removal. I usually don't worry about refitting another screw after the reseal, just tighten the gland. If the hole will allow water to sit there & enter the threads - plug it with silicone. Often the hole wont line up when the gland is properly tightened after the reseal.
Thanks for the advice. I havent been back over to the shop to mess w/ it. We build swimming pools and I thought we were done w/ it for the winter then we got a call to build a pool this winter on a new home site. So I dont want to tear it down and have a problem when we need it.