Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hyd cylinder tools

chris allen ยท 2016-08-11 20:52

looking to see if someone out there has ever got tired of the ole 6 ft pipe wrench an 10 ft pipe an a really big table an chaining down ur cylinder to get them stubborn nuts off the rob, someone has got to of came up with something to help ease that pain, not like we can all afford the correct machine like dealors have, be nice to find something home made that I can tie into my hyd system from my service truck craine hyd supply.

Replies7
  1. #1Heavey Metal2016-08-11 22:03

    Use your crane

  2. #2nowing752016-08-14 19:42

    I just send them out seams to be easer then spending all day to get the nut off. If I ever have spare time I might get an i beam and make one you can use a portapower to push the wrench.

  3. #3Randy882016-08-14 21:19

    Often wondered this myself, thought I'd tag along in case someone has a really good idea I could use. I've used the excavator bucket trick myself a time or two, not the best way, but it works in a pinch.

  4. #4JD955SC2016-08-14 22:04

    I'm told that if you'll buy a new nut or bolt you can heat the old nut or bolt with torch to cherry red to release the tension on it. I know for a fact that heating a bolt will work to make it easy to take out, just never have done it on a hydraulic cylinder since we have a nice cylinder bench at work. Obviously does nothing for tightening it but that's what you can use a torque multiplier for. Or I suppose you could use the torque multiplier to remove the bolt/nut. I have had to use a torque multiplier to torque gland nuts on cylinders that would not fit on the cylinder bench. There are also hy-torc hydraulic torque wrenches too that you can buy if they would work for your application. We have one, never used it myself nor have I taken a good look at it.

  5. #5Twisted2016-08-14 22:51

    Build a bench out of heavy plate or a very large I-beam. Attach some V-blocks to support the rod and coat them with brass to keep from damaging the chrome. Use a hydraulic cylinder to push or pull the tooling. I just use my hoe and wood blocks for the occasional cylinder repair that a 1" impact won't budge but I'd have a table if it was a regular thing. My neighbor has an I-beam setup that will spin the nuts on a 35 ton hoe so I have no need for a dedicated table.

  6. #6chris allen2016-08-17 21:58

    yea ive though bout the idea of the I beam theory, we had one were I use to work, it was concreated in the ground to tho, an we use to use old 631 scrapper blades that were inch thick an make a wrench to fit nut an use a track hoe as the muscle, an when I worked for cat we had the correct hyd cylinder machine that did it for us. was no sweat using it either, but im no longer with cat an out on my own an was looking for something I could put together to use out in the field. been chaining down my cylinders to the back of my truck an using my 6 ft pipe wrench or inch an half drive ratchet an 10 ft pipe. just looking for a hyd way to tie into my trucks pto.

  7. #7chrisdvorak2017-02-11 17:32

    anyone have a pic of the I beam setup for breaking down cylinders?