Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bushing alignment / placement questions

hosspuller ยท 2016-08-12 14:41

I've a Deere 310C. Backhoe. I about to replace the pins & bushings of the boom to swing tower. I have a 30 ton hollow cylinder to press them in. ...Besides no burrs and dirt, should the bushings be oiled before pressing into the bore? Will 30 tons be enough or should dry ice be used too ? The Deere Bushings have a groove on the inner and outer circumference. There is a single hole between the two grooves for grease. ... Should I try to place the hole under the grease fitting ? Or just get the outer groove under the grease fitting? Thanks for your experience and reply. :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup

Replies3
  1. #1Willie B2016-08-12 20:22

    I did a 410 once. I fire wrenched old bushings stopping short of iron, let it cool, and beat it out with a hammer, and punch. It went well. The new bushing came out of the freezer, and went into a bore that had been gently heated to the sizzle temp. It drove in nicely. Willie

  2. #2kshansen2016-08-13 08:19

    Not familiar with too many JD's but a 310 sounds small as the only JD we had at the quarry was a 710 backhoe. Anywho, a little oil would not hurt that 30 ton jack should be more than enough, just be careful to get them started straight. As for the grease hole I always tried to line them up with the fitting just on the chance someone failed to keep up with the greasing it makes being able to clean out old grease easier. Pull pin and stick a rod through and you are good to go.

  3. #3hosspuller2016-08-14 12:44

    Kshansen ... Thanks for the reply. Your answer confirmed my plan. That increases my confidence in doing a job for the first time. ... I wonder why all bushings aren't installed with the grease hole aligned with the zerk . (for the reason you gave) Willie B .. The Deere manual suggests laying a few beads of 7018 weld inside the bushing to shrink it. You're a better torch handler than me. I have more faith in my welding than torching skills.