84 JD 500C backhoe. Manual calls for 303 hydraulic fluid. Been reading some & saw (on the internet so it must be true) that modern spec oils are better and should be used but I think that's in reference to newer tractors & equipment. Locally I can get the Coastal 303 at Autozone or the Supertrac 303 at Tractor Supply. The reviews on the TSC website for the Supertrac are very poor. Since the manual says to use 303, I think that's what I should use, but that was also printed before modern fluid specs were out there. * Should I stick with 303 or use something else? * If I should stick w/ 303 does it matter what brand I use as long as it says it meets JD 303 spec? * If I should use something else, what should I use? * If I should use something else, do I just add it to the 303 that's already there or do I need to flush & replace all the fluid at once? I think it holds around 35 gal (would have to check the manual) so that seems like a lot of $ to replace. What about the "universal" stuff at TSC? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg;-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal Doesn't really say what specs it meets. Generic blurb "Meets original equipment manufacturers' specifications for models from Agco, Case, Caterpillar, John Deere, International harvester, Massey, White, Yanmar and many more" They also have this Rotella Universal Tractor that costs about 2x as much http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...ersal-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal-pail?cm_vc=-10005 I have a lot of drippy little hyd leaks so I'm adding fluid frequently. Some are being repaired now, but any that are labor-intensive (read: costly) will stay as drippy leaks for now as I can only afford so many repairs at a time. This is a machine I use at my leisure so if it's down for a few weeks waiting to get fixed it's no big deal.
Holds 21.5 gal - not 35 gal.
At our local TSC they also have 'Traveller' that crosses to many, including JD 303. I'd say go 50/50 and get the best of both worlds (or worst of both). I'm using the AZ coastal multitrac in my Case 580B.
Is that a combined transmission and hydraulic system, or completely separate hydraulic reservoir?
I would steer clear of the supertrac. I do use the traveler in my Massey 135 and have had no issues. I would state that i use the recommended oils in my case backhoe and use full synthetic rotella for my engines. Oil is cheap compared to repairs. I also would not mix cheap oil with good oil as you just don't know what it might do.
I have a jd 410-d 81 or 82 model and my manual calls for jd hygard or jd 20c equivalent.
If you read the full description of the Traveller you will find that is a decent oil. I would buy it if TSC had a store closer than 30 miles away. Here is a copy and paste of the specs. from their website. Notice it is a multi-grade oil. I paid $44.00 per 5 gallons 2 days ago for Case spec. oil at a farm supply store. Traveller® Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid is a specially formulated, premium multigrade (SAE 10W-20) fluid blended with the highest quality lubricating oils and the most technologically advanced additive system. Provides superior protection and performance for modern farm equipment employing a common sump to lubricate hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, hydraulics and final drive gears. Formulated with the latest available technology to offer: Low temperature pumpability Protection against brake chatter Excellent thermal stability Greater protection against gear wear Meets original equipment manufacturers' specifications for models from Agco, Case, Caterpillar, John Deere, International harvester, Massey, White, Yanmar and many more Hydraulic Fluid 5 gal. Guaranteed to meet performance requirements
CMV--you didn't say if you just got your 500, but it appears likely so if it was me,not knowing what's in there and when the last time the system and filter were changed,I would most definitely do it sooner than later.Also,are you sure it's a 1984 model year? Reason I ask is because the 410B,510B,etc.series came out in 1983 which was a complete game changer.I would have thought mother deere would have dropped that old style most likely in 82.
I think it's combined. I only see one place to check or add hyd fluid which is right by the driver seat. The basic generic yellow bucket 303 stuff from most places seems to be similar in price $35-$45 per 5 gal. The name brand stuff seems to be a lot more. I don't know enough about the different oils or brands to know what I should use. Some clearly state they meet JD 303 spec on the packaging, others don't really say so I'm worried it's an inferior oil that just says '303' in the name but who knows what it really is. I have a TSC about 15 min away so using their stuff is fine. Also have Autozone, NAPA, & O'reilly that are convenient & stock some flavor of 303 hyd fluid. Our local WalMarts don't stock the Supertech brand. I'm thinking I should use either of these two but don't know which would be better. Having multiple lines replaced and other leaks repaired so I'm guessing that will mean a lot of hyd fluid loss so I will be mixing whatever I buy with what's left in the sump. http://www.autozone.com/greases-and.../coastal-640-oz-303-tractor-fluid/692491_0_0/ http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg;-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-5-gal
I recently purchased it. I know enough to operate/maintain a backhoe at a novice level - maybe 80 hrs total operating one. That's why I have very basic questions like "what kind of oil should I put in it?" Never had to worry about that renting them from Hertz. It was sold by a private owner and he said it was a 1984 model. It is a JD 500C backhoe. I can look for the ID tag on it to see if there is a manufacture date but it very well could be a different year model. There are a few things that are different in the manual than on the actual machine, but the manual may be generic and cover a broad range of years. Some controls locations for example. Previous owner had receipts for a lot of work. Part of that was replacing a blown hyd line. He said the fluid was all replaced at that time (because it all spewed out)along with the filter. Hasn't seen 10 hrs of use since then. Oil filter & fuel filters at same time also.
You should stay away from any 303 hydraulic oil. It is the lowest grade hyd. oil on the market. Some of it is the equivalent to a 30 wt. oil. Not good in cold climates IMHO. Here is a link to some insightful information in regards to it and John Deere equipment. http://www.tractorlife.com/303-tractor-fluid-problems-offset-upfront-savings/
I'm fine with not using 303. Just don't know what to use instead and does switching mean drain & refil entire system or just start adding the new? I went & looked at it during lunch. The 2nd line on the product identification tag reads: BACKHOE LOADER 83 so I assume that means it's a 1983 model not 1984.
Just about anything will be fine for the hydraulics, but the you want to be careful with the powershift transmission (this is 8 speeds forward right?) I would definitely go with the Traveler, at least until you put some hours on it and get the leaks fixed- hate to dump 20 gallons of new Hyguard on the ground. The Traveler says "recommended where the following specifications"... The 303 probably says something like "may be used where the following specifications" which is an even weaker claim. The 303 spec was what was available in the 60's when that transmission was first used, but powershift transmissions needed more so the oil was improved. J20C is the better oil that the traveler "recommends" itself as a replacement for. Hyguard from JD or Hytran from Case are the premium oils. You can also get oils that claim to meet that spec from Mystic on the cheap end, or many of the oil companies (chevron, amsoil etc.) If you put 5 hours a month on this machine it's not critical to have the very best oil. Keep the oil at the proper level, keep the dirt and water out (foamy milky looking oil? drop some on a hot piece of steel, if it smokes and burns-good, if it pops or spatters that's too much water), and think about changing it every other year or so.
Yes, 8 forward speeds, a N, & a park setting. 4 reverse speeds with a shutlte lever to go between F - N - R. Manual says reverse won't engage in a gear higher than 4. It has what seems to be a clutch pedal at the left foot but the manual calls it an inching pedal. I use that as I would a clutch starting from a stop or coming to a stop in gear, but once moving just shift up thru the gears as needed by moving the lever. If the Traveller is better that's great because it's less expensiv ethan what I was buying. OK to just start adding that to the 303 already in there?
Yes, it's one in a million that mixing those two will cause any problems. Now if you had a new machine that you were using all day everyday and it had fresh Hyguard then you'd be crazy to add 303 to it. This old backhoe is lucky if it's had the fluid changed every 5 years for the last couple decades. And how do you know what is in there now? If you use it and fix the leaks, I'd seriously consider changing it to Hyguard or big name J20C oil.