Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyd Oil Cooler rubber hose connectors, coolant hose ok?

Birdseye · 2020-12-31 15:53

Hi Quick question here. I noticed my 580se hydraulic oil cooler is leaking at the connections between the hard steel lines and the rubber hose. I want to drain the hydraulic system and replace all those rubber hoses. Is automotive coolant hose ok and recommended to use for this or is there something better ? I assume it’s all very low pressure pushing the oil they that cooler. (I’m working on getting the leaks sealed then will do something about that milky hydraulic fluid). Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1DB22020-12-31 16:24

    Regular coolant hose will swell after time. Find something oil resistant.

  2. #2Welder Dave2020-12-31 16:56

    Had a JD crawler where someone before had used heater hose. It got soft, swelled up and then split. JD had the special oil resistant hose but a hyd. hose supplier should have it. Doesn't necessarily need to be braided steel hose depending on the pressure.

  3. #3lantraxco2020-12-31 16:56

    You need oil service hose, and something that can handle up to about 35 psi usually... Deere and CAT carry it cut to length, CASE may also, and any hydraulic hose supplier, even NAPA should have some.

  4. #4Coaldust2020-12-31 17:04

    Parker 601 Push-Lok or 801 Push-Lok Plus would be a good choice.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-12-31 19:54

    SAE 100-R4 is what I use for suction lines. It is readily available most everywhere.

  6. #6Jonas3022020-12-31 20:23

    auto parts stores can carry gate multiuse hose just make sure it says its for oil or your repair wont last

  7. #7Birdseye2020-12-31 20:40

    Great, thanks everyone! (Sure glad I asked and didn’t use the coolant hose)

  8. #8Stanley the dog2021-01-02 12:56

    I ran into the same situation as you described only mine was a suction line at the hydraulic tank i got small piece of hose from a parts store that makes hydraulic hoses and they had hose just for that purpose

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-01-02 14:37

    Be sure it has wire wrapped in it no matter where or what you buy. If it doesn't, it is prone to collapse.

  10. #10stinky642021-01-02 20:31

    The suction hose hose usually has a single wire molded in with about 300psi rating, while actual hyd.pressure line has fully braided shield integrated into hose at 3000+ psi..