Hello, Fairly new to the forum ,but did post probably 1 year ago and got quick response that solved my problem . So ,THANKS!. I have a 97 model 580L case backhoe. I have repacked cylinders through the years but started noticing a little fluid dripping from control valve. Facing machine ,fluid was dripping from right side. It was either the swing or the valve body next to it. Since I couldnt tell ,I ordered o-ring and wiper {several} and repacked the swing. I operated it and everything appears fine there. Then today the valve body next to it started spraying a fine mist of hydraulic fluid from the safety ,or pressure relief, valve located behind the control lever .I have never touched that side ,and have read enough to know that there are pressures and torques on bolts ,etc. that is above my knowledge. Can anybody tell me what would cause the safety,or pressure relief valve to be spraying hydraulic fluid??? I started to order orings for that side ,but thought it might be more serious than that. All the hydraulics seem to be working as usual ,but I do have a little boom leak down on main boom {crowd} cylinder. I think that would be a by-pass issue inside that cylinder ,so I havent attempted to repair as long as it wasnt leaking fluid outside. One other thing that I did was tighten the spool caps on bottom of control valve pretty tight with rachet thinking it would help the top spool o-ring to be seated tightly and help prevent leaking. I just now realized that since it works both directions,I may have caused my own problem! Do these caps have to be torqued to allow the springs inside to work properly?? All seem to be working except for the one spraying fluid. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I believe what you are calling a safety valve is a port or circuit relief. There should be a perimeter oring that seals that valve housing to the section housing. It should be easy to replace.
Thanks for the reply. I pulled up a schematic which shows an o-ring ,but since the fluid is coming from center of the valve ,Im not sure it is the problem? I edited my post after thinking it through a little bit .
A picture is worth a thousand words. Are you saying it is leaking between two of the sections ?? If it is spraying, clean it good and look for a crack in one of the sections.
No, its definately not between the sections. It is coming out the very top of the relief, check or pressure valve. There is a little nipple in the center of the valve.
Not knowing which series 580L you have and if it has extendahoe or not and no picture makes it almost impossible for us to help you. Here is a random guess at which valve you have. Can you post where the leak is at ?? Can you print this image and then draw an arrow on it to where the leak is. Snap a photo of it and post it here.
Here is a pic. 97 580L {not series2} no extend-a-boom. The spraying fluid is at #2 coming out the top center of the relief valve. Im thinking maybe I overtightened the spool caps at bottom of control valve. They were all slightly over hand tight ,and I thought they might work loose. So while I had the 3/4 rachet and socket handy, I tightened all of them pretty tight. Thinking about loosening them a bit ,but thats why Im looking to you guys. Im getting into area that I know little about!
Look further in the parts book and find the correct valve section. You most likely need all new "O" rings. Here is one I looked, it is the swing section, at page 8-106.
SO, if an o-ring is blown somewhere in this valve section ,it would cause leakage out the top of the relief valve? It has been my experience ,at least so far, that o-ring deterioration has caused leakage around the upper area of the spool where the wobble stick attaches to the spool .The few that I have replaced were not broken ,only seemed to be a little larger than when new. Is there any possibility of damage from pressure build up if I continue operating until I can get new o-rings? Thanks again for all the quick response!! I have been running back and forth all day while I serviced machine looking forward to new posts!!
#29 seals the adjuster puck #28 in the relief valve, the part the adjuster screw moves when you turn it. That's where your leak is happening.
Your previous experience with spool stems is similar to, but different with the relief adjuster. Your arrow is not pointing at the stem of the spool. Lantraxco has it right.
If you disassemble that valve to replace the internal orings it MUST be put into a fixture at a Case dealer who has the equipment to reset it to specs, if not done properly you risk hose blowing, splitting cylinder barrels or snapping cylinder rods. If you cannot find a shop that can do it you may be better to buy a new preset valve, once you get it removed it should have a pressure rating stamped into the body. they cannot be set in the tractor as the circuit reliefs work above system pressure.
Just an observation, not disagreeing with you, as I have studiously avoided working on CASE machines (long boring story) so I do not know about them, but every other make I've ever worked on the hydraulics you could set the main relief up, adjust the port reliefs, then reset the main. Maybe the cylinder pressures on the CASE are that much higher than the pump/system can handle?
The most important (at least for me) part of Mel's advice is in his last sentence. "They cannot be set in the tractor as the circuit reliefs work above system pressure." I have only set main reliefs. Never fooled with circuit reliefs. Glad I haven't !
Lantraxo, that is an area of agreement but not one that I would recommend to people who are not into the knowledge level of a lot on forum. In these discussions you can pick out if a person has a real working knowledge of what is involved. When the 580 C first came out they used a boom down secondary setting so low that an operator could not pick the rear up with the boom and reset the position of the machine sideways, that spec was only a couple hundred lbs over 1000 PSI, 14-1500 was all that was required. I reset many of those in the manner that you described. I do not know what issues you had with Case, they were my life and I had almost yearly factory training on them, I guess lack of familiarity maybe intimidates us when working out of our comfort area. Case's systems were about as basic as it comes till we got int P/F radial piston stuff which still wasn't bad to those of us with hydrostatic experience. I do not think your system would have been harmful but most Cases up until the K series used the Aluminum Cessna which I have seen some split so I err on the side of caution as we had the fixture and the old reliable snowplow hand pump.
This can be done, but not by a novice.
Wow, you all are a great source of knowledge! I certainly fit in the category of novice when it comes to working on these machines. I spent my entire career operating heavy equipment of all kinds, and found the case backhoes very hard to beat. Thats the primary reason that I purchased the 580L. After 23 years of owning this machine other that a few hoses and repacking cylinders ,,1 fan belt tensioner ,a couple o-rings in valve body control ,and tires, batteries ,and such ,it hasnt had a wrench turned on it. ----If I got what you are all collectively saying right ,then my best bet would be to get the preset valve and then install back into machine/Right??? By that do you mean numbers 31-22 or does that also include numbers 35,37, 36, 37, 34, and 33 ?? Or is it the complete valve assembly for the boom lift including the spool?? I am referring to the pic that Tinkerer downloaded . Lots of questions ,I realize, but I dont want to put the machine in jeopardy of damaging anything. Thanks again to : Lanthraxco,Tinkerer, Melben, and Vetech63
You can purchase the complete circuit relief just as it screws out of the valve section, it should have a relief setting stamped into it so you can be sure to order the right one, I am sure if you get the stamped relief pressure and post it someone here can get the PN for you.
Thanks so much!!! Will do
Here is the relief valve out of machine. I cant find any markings on it at all .Surely Case dealership can locate right part for me?? I know this is a stupid question ,but thats why I am asking folks smarter than I ---Is this the complete relief valve? Diagram shows more underneath this part, thats the reason I asked in earlier posts about the numbered pieces that make up the assembly. All I know for certain is this part was spraying fluid and that it is attached to the control valve that moves main boom up and down. Thanks!
Took the relief valve out and wasnt able to find anything stamped on the valve itself. Called the local dealership{no longer sale Case equipment}referred to Nashville Tn. dealership. They say part not available. Part number doesnt show at Case online parts lookup. salesman is searching for more info. I did find person online at hagan tractor who says preset pressure is at 3200 ,and he can supply. Does pressure setting sound right?? Nashville dealership has no clue and are as lost as I about whether pressure can be set in machine or not.
Unusual that it is not marked, can you get the cartridge disassembled without turning the adjusting nut and screw on top, if so the o ring you need to replace could be changed without disturbing the valve setting. put the valve in a vise upside down so you can see the interior parts, see if you can find a straight punch to slide through the holes and try to turn it out, maybe you can send a close up picture so I can see if it is built like I think, if so that bottom piece screws up into the body and removing it will get you to the ring that needs replaced
I found a pic online that looked identical .After calling 4 different dealerships ,I found a lady that took my pin number for my machine. She says, the boom valve section, which is the one I need is --G109449 relief valve .It looks like mine. She says it comes not pre-set. It has instructions for setting up on the machine, according to her. She says this particular valve has the higher pressure setting of 3200. I spoke to another dealer who sells same part and says it comes pre-set. So, at this point, I dont know who is right. I dont mind buying one, just unsure about pressure settings!----Bach to the original part that I took off. Too LATE!! I already unscrewed the nut on top to see what was in there, It was a little rusty,so I think both parts came out as one. I didnt separate the nut from the threaded piece. The bottom side is flat with a 3/16 dia. hole on a taper. About 1/8 in. down from there it flattens off to about 1/8 dia.
count the turns of the adjusting screw and put it back the same amount it will be close The main relief will protect the system
Here is a pic of bottom of valve for Melben
How many do you want? I have a few of them..... These are all cracked sections that have perfectly good secondary reliefs attached to them The 5th - 7th from the front are BH Boom sections I knew they would be worth something to someone one day I've added quite a few more to this pile since this picture was taken - just couldn't throw them out.....
Tell me what you gotta have each for them. I found a new one for the boom section today at a good price,so I went ahead and ordered it. I would like to have some spares ,just in case!! Also, thanks to all who helped me out . Great Forum!!
The postage will be more than the valves, but good on ya!
Any of you guys out there know if part number G109449 and G109447 are interchangeable?? Ordered G109449 and got G109447 relief valve for 97 Case 580L . I intended to set valve same as one that came out of machine, but now I dont know if it will work properly with different numbered valve. Thanks in advance ,any help appreciated!!
G109447 is from the swing section - according to the service manual rated at 184 - 196 Bar (2650 - 2850psi) G109449 is rated at 215 - 227 Bar (3120-3300psi) No way of knowing if the springs in these are the same & whether you could adjust it to the higher pressure to allow it to work correctly. Certainly wont hurt the machine - if installed as it is - as it is rated at lower pressure. It will make the boom a little weaker - as in lifting the machine off the ground. - 500 psi difference is quite alot re hydraulic performance.
I was afraid of that! Salesperson had wrong valve in 109449 packaging. Guess I"ll keep it in case needed later on and try to find right valve. Thanks, for all the help