Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic coupler question.

Jim D ยท 2015-11-05 00:16

I have a question about the flat-faced hydraulic couplers. When one or the other side of the hydraulic hose/circuit is pressurized, how do you "make" the coupling come together. The older style couplers with the *** in the center are easy; smack the *** against something or smack it with something to bleed off some hydraulic fluid and the couplers go together without too much effort. So what does every one do with the flat-faced couplers? (Sometimes no amount of body weight and force will "make" the connection, with the flat couplers.) (It is a newbie question, I know... but I hope there is a good trick to answer the question...) edit: wow! *** means the round, projecting thing in the center

Replies5
  1. #1Shimmy12015-11-05 08:23

    If there is, hope you find it. We've had to take the ends of several times to get our skeleton bucket hooked to the skid steer.

  2. #2DDoug2015-11-05 09:22

    Could you: 1. Add a "tee" fitting with a small ball valve to dump ? 2. Drill hole nearby fitting bracket, add bolt (maybe 3/8" dia) projecting out as a little anvil to shove on connector end (and depress plunger) 3. Take a set of water pump pliers (12"-15") weld on to the jaws to fit fitting (half round ring or so) and other jaw has plunger welded on it to depress the on in the connector ? This method you'd have some leverage on it.

  3. #3Graham12015-11-05 17:10

    I have a set of Holp Quick on tongs. http://www.holp.eu/index.php?option=com_exp_product&id=8&Itemid=172&lang=en Work pretty well if there is room to get them on. Graham

  4. #4buckfever2015-11-05 18:05

    We just make sure there's a crescent wrench with the machine and crack the line to bleed off pressure.

  5. #5Jim D2015-11-06 00:04

    Damn, I wish that I had thought of that! It is just a tire chain tensioner with forks instead of hooks. So I already have a couple of them (with a little welding). Thanks, Graham! Sometimes I can't see what is already right in front of me...