Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Cylinder, How does it come apart

RBerry ยท 2015-07-18 14:21

This cylinder is on a Champ forklift mode 350-80 built in 1985. It looks like a ring in the small hole, I can turn the packing gland round and round so it is not threaded in.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2015-07-18 14:39

    That ring is all that holds it together. You grab ahold of one end and pull it out at the same time that you turn the gland the same direction. That's a common style I THINK it is, I've never seen one that looks quite like this. You might have to bend one of those ends over, or do they both go to the right?

  2. #2RBerry2015-07-18 18:57

    Delmer, Thanks for getting back to me on this. The part on the left has a raised area on it then bends in to a hole. so I would have to turn the gland to the right to get hold of the other end on the right. It looks like a strong piece steel. It looks like a strange design to me. I will let you know if that works.

  3. #3Delmer2015-07-18 19:58

    Usually there is a slot and only one end of the wire ring visible, or no wire visible. So you have to figure out just how that one went together and comes apart. You could search for images of "wire lock hydraulic cylinder" or something like that to see how they typically work.