Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic cylinder MX tool sources

Tim Burke · 2019-06-22 06:47

Machine in view is a Deere 310SG. After having the crowd cylinder repacked for what seemed a decent price in my area, one of the swing cylinders decided to start spewing at the rod seal too. I called the dealer shop for an estimate and was provided with a number approximately 2X the cost of the larger crowd cylinder. I mentioned that I’d bring the cylinder to them, thinking she thought I wanted them to do the whole R^3. Nope. That sorta tightened my jaw a bit, and the only reason provided was, “they’re a pain in the butt.” I’m not a heavy equipment mechanic, but I have masqueraded as an aircraft mechanic for about 37 years, so I get that some jobs suck. However, a quick glance at the parts book and applicable Deere TM-H120A indicates the only thing likely to be a pain in the butt, aside from taking it off the machine, is the nut on the rod guide that is supposed to be torqued to 700 ft/lb, IIRC. This is where I hit a dead end. The TM shows a pic of a nice tool for the R/I of the nut, but does not provide a part number. Aside from the apparently very rare Tuxco RGS-325, I cannot find anyone else selling a tool stout enough to put that kind of torque on those nuts. YouTube indicates that the air hammer and big-ass pipe wrench are the tools of choice, but I’d kinda prefer not to inflict damage to the nuts if I can get a proper tool. I’m also not averse to making a tool, but the timing ain’t great at the moment. Anyone happen to have some other tool sources?

Replies4
  1. #1mikebramel2019-06-22 18:34

    Good vibrations as the beach boys say..... Air hammer

  2. #2Tim Burke2019-06-23 07:16

    Yeah, I can do that if it comes down to it. Based on having destroyed a thing or 2 in the past, I’m just kinda biased towards using the right tools when I can. Oh, and thanks for sticking that song in my head.

  3. #3mikebramel2019-06-23 11:19

    If those are the cylinders with the nut pulling the head out of the tube it's by far the quickest way. Otherwise you will have to pressurize the base of the cylinder to put the piston against the head to keep it from rotating

  4. #4Tim Burke2019-06-23 12:39

    That’s exactly what they are, and that hadn’t occurred to me.