I am writing this for my husband who is unable to get internet access where he currently is. We own a 1984 Cat 953. He is trying to remove the piston to change the seal on the main hydraulic cylinder. He has ran in to some trouble and needs any advice, pointers, or help that can be given.. Anything is greatly appreciated.
What problem is he having? Cant remove the piston from the cylinder or cant remove the piston from the rod?
Trying to remove the piston form the cylinder where the 4 bolt come off and then the cap wont come off.
Got it...
I think I know what cap your talking about.If so he needs to tie rod end to some thing and pull it out.Be gentle no yanking needed.Some times you can use the Hyd.Pressure to push it out.Gets oil every where. Wish we had some pics to see the cap your talking about.
Sounds like he's trying to remove the gland cap of the bucket roll cylinder, the loader arm cylinders on the 953 don't use the bolt on gland. The gland is probably just stuck from rust on the inside of the bore of the cylinder on the outside of the inner o-ring seal. I've done the same thing 2stickbill describes. I've pulled the pin that attaches the cylinder rod to the bucket roll link, lift rod out of roll link and support it, loosen the four gland bolts just a few threads, then use the machines hydraulics to extend the rod until it bottoms out on the gland and put some hyd pressure on it to force the gland out until it catches up with bolt heads. Loosen bolts a couple more threads and do it again. Just don't push the gland so far out with pressure that the o-ring is exposed, you'll make a big mess then.
I haven't been around a 953 in a long time.But at least I was getting close.Not to many used here.Mostly rubber tired loaders.Some of the nuts holding the piston on need a hydralic wrench to remove.Some will come off with a little heat and lots of muscle.Some machines have a allen set screw and some have a snap ring that is behind the end cap you have to remove before pulling rod.But I don't think any Cats are like that.