Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic cylinder repair

nova481 · 2021-04-24 19:38

To me this guy is amazing. I had no idea what was involved. What workmanship.

Replies9
  1. #1joe--h2021-04-25 00:28

    He does some nice work, Safety Inspector keeps things rolling along. Joe H

  2. #2Coaldust2021-04-25 00:51

    I like that channel.

  3. #3.RC.2021-04-25 00:54

    I saw one video where he was welding on something onto some chromed bar, but did not protect the bare chrome from weld spatter.

  4. #4berky2021-04-25 06:54

    Super talented guy and very likable.

  5. #5Nige2021-04-25 09:33

    I’d like to know how the cost of their repairs stacks up compared to the cost of new parts, or do most of the repairs they perform for the reason that new parts were not readily available.? It’s funny they never seem to mention that part.

  6. #6John C.2021-04-25 10:56

    Anybody can do that with the right tools. A true genius could do that in the field with an air arc, hack saw and a Miller Bobcat welder. I've never seen a grader articulation cylinder from Cat come apart like that. My thought is that the cylinder was not assembled properly and this is probably be a warranty. When the guy said the damaged thread inside the rod was not a problem, the alarm bells started to ring. I agree with Nige on the cost analysis. I likely would have thrown that in the scrap pile and found a used or new cylinder.

  7. #7Nige2021-04-25 14:39

    As John pointed out the process of re-tubing a hydraulic cylinder is nothing complicated provided the machine shop has the appropriate machine tools (and materials) for the job. The repair process shown in the video is no different to what the OEM Reman Centre would do if the barrel came back to them as a returned Core. The only diifferences I can think of between a jobbing shop and the OEM is a) the OEM would be doing batches of them rather than just one, and b) it wouldn't be one guy doing the whole process from start to finish.

  8. #8Birdseye2021-04-28 05:54

    This video could be titled “what to do when your rod end bolt comes off !” It’s interesting to see that the end bolt can and does indeed come off and the consequences when it happens. As I have struggled to get those rod end bolts clean enough to accept Loctite and tight enough to meet the spec of 1400-2000 ft/lbs torque , I have wondered why is it necessary to be so extremely tight. Now I see. Thanks for posting that.

  9. #9Cmark2021-04-28 06:27

    A new cylinder is about $5k and available in the Cat parts distribution centre about 10 minutes up the road. Generally speaking, people that run #16 graders aren't mom and pop outfits. I imagine they have already done the maths. I agree the bolt coming out would be the result of incorrect reassembly. The D&A doesn't call for loctite. Probably just not tight enough. (~700 lbft)