My family owns a rental store and I do about everything you can imagine there including working on the equipment. Recently we have been having to rebuild some cylinders and put new seals in them. On the bobcat t180s I have been working on it is a pain to break the cylinder apart without using a pipe wrench which is what the dealer and most around me use. Do yall have any recommendations on spanner wrenches to help take the cylinder apart? I have a snapon spanner but it is only like six inches long and you can not get enough force behind it. Thanks Walter
Cut a full circle spanner out of plate that will engage 4 slots at the same time, that way you can really hog on it w/o screwing up the rod guide. Or, OTC makes some long handle adjustable spanners that work really well.
Thanks, I have thought about making one, just have so many other things going on it would be easier to buy it. But it might come down to me making one myself. Walter
OTC #1266 is the one I have. Fits a 3/4 drive breaker or ratchet. Sometimes you need 3 hands to use but it fits most cylinders I've tried it on.
If you are working on the same cycl's all the time I would make one to fit it good.I have one of the large OTC like ScottAR said some times you need three monkeys and and a coon dog to use it and hope it doesn't slip and they are hard on the cycld nut . I have seen guy's make them buy drilling holes in a good heavy plate that line up with the slot's then driving grade 8 bolts thru and grinding side of bolts flat to fit into slot on nut seemed to work good:my2c
Thanks guys. I will probably end up making one but we only have three 180's left and are just starting to get the new 590's in so I need to make sure the caps are the same size. Walter
If you do decide to buy the gland nut wrench I bought an OTC copy of one on eBay. It is super strong. Be sure to make sure the pins are fully seated every time you turn the wrench. Here is a link to one. I am no way affiliated wuth that vendor or anyone else selling on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-Gland...ble-Tool-/371163158169?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
I have the large and small OTC cylinder wrenches. As mentioned above, careful with the pins. You can get them from Amazon for a reasonable price...$75ish for the big one, $32 for the smaller one. On the smaller one, replace the bolt with a Grade 8 one.