Hi all, I'm looking at a new single axle gravel truck, and I am seeing some with hydraulic disc brakes. I'm wondering it they have the same stopping power as the usual air brum brakes that I'm used to. They look pretty beefy. Or do they lack the backup system that you get with air? Be nice not to have to hire guys with an air ticket.
I've done alot of work on a C60 with discs and it stops fine, but the park brake is a driveline drum wich has to be adjusted often. The biggest set back is cost. Calipers are like $500 if I recall and it eats pads.
The models that I've had experience with did very well on stopping power, but were prone to leaks. This was several years ago, around 2000. I think newer models are much better. I never had any particular trouble with wear life on pads or rotors, but the trucks I was around were in oilfield service and did not make long trips or drive in city traffic. The biggest problem with driveline park brakes is that they are never set properly and drivers head off without releasing them, only realizing their mistake when the smell of burning brake comes up into the cab or they see a cloud of smoke rolling out from underneath.
I wounder what the difference in cost is on hydraulic & air brakes on a new truck?I would go with the air brakes because they are cheaper to service,and you could order the new truck with the trailer valve in case you wanted to pull a trailer with air brakes .
I would RUN from the HYD brakes they work fine but repair parts are $$$$ and they take twice as long to repair as air brakes. Theirs absolutely no reason to spec a new MDT truck with hyd brakes. NONE.
i HATE hydraulic brakes. Not only that, if you get a leak, the outcome is gonna be a lot worse then if you get a slight leak on a air brake system. leak on an air brake system, you can still get stopped and maybe off the road safely. the stopping power is better, repair is cheaper.
Well there is one The misconception that you need a CDL just because it has Air Brakes
Definitely go with the air brakes! I had a Ford F600 try to kill me twice when the brakes failed... In my oppinion it should be against the law to have hydraulic brakes in anything larger than a 1 ton...
Air brakes without a doubt.Much more reliable,way better stopping power.