Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Excavators turned into Log Loader, then put on Rubber Tire SP Carriers!

Contract Logger · 2010-03-18 22:38

Used to be a million of these in the woods. All makes, models, shapes and sizes! Not so much the last 10 or so years. Show us your pics. I'll start with these. Oops.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-03-18 22:42

    More Koehring Bantam I guess.

  2. #2tonka2010-03-18 22:46

    how do ya steer that thing?

  3. #3Contract Logger2010-03-18 22:51

    You drive them right from the seat in the cab. Air throttle, air brakes, hyd. steering. The last one I had built was custom for me- had an N14 Cummins in the carrier, HT750 Allison trans, and 2-Speed 46,000 lb Eaton rears. I got a speeding ticket on I-5 between Eugene and Portland for doing 57 mph in a 55 zone. My cab roof was 13' 8", so it made for interesing travel coming up on every overpass. Most overpasses on that stretch were at least 16', but still......... Upper has the factory excavator engine- lower had whatever you wanted- Cat, Cummins, or Detroit.

  4. #4tonka2010-03-18 23:06

    kinda like a duck....

  5. #5Contract Logger2010-03-18 23:22

    OK, here is the last new one I had, and one of the last ones built. Started with a plain old brand new 1993 MDI/Yutani MD240BLC. Step 1: Throw out the tracks, boom, etc. Step 2: Jewell Mfg in Portland built the carrier (Cummins, Allison, Eatons) and made it the 'squirt' version- the front of the carrier hydraulically extended from off road position (about 110" WB) to highway position (about 250" WB) both for handling and bridging the weight- 80,000 lbs. (Carrier cost about $120K back then). Step 3: Jewell puts Yutani upper on thier carrier, raises and guards cab until roofline is as close to 14' as you can get. Add catwalks, rotation hydraulics, etc. Step 4: Jewell a builds and adds 39' logging boom, and Young 54" Grapples. Step 5: Drive out of Jewell shop, North on I-5, at speeds up to 60 mph, no problem. I had this thing for years and drove around loading logs from here to hell and back. Was a great rig and perfect for the work we were doing. Attached are some pics of it in action- 1st pic is at a Pacific Pride fuel stop. I loaded thousands of loads with this rig, lol.............

  6. #6Contract Logger2010-03-18 23:30

    Only thing that would have been better on this rig would have been a set of hydraulic winches for yarding and recovery work. Only trouble was we were slightly over max legal weight as it sat, and the winches would have added about 7,500 lbs. The laws have changed now so the current owner (a friend of mine) has to pull the grapple off to get the steer axle legal in Washington State.

  7. #7Contract Logger2010-03-18 23:34

    Other brands on carriers.

  8. #8Contract Logger2010-03-18 23:36

    Couple more.

  9. #9stormdodger2010-03-18 23:46

    I ran one of those Barkos in a dryland sort, but it was on a old ford. running it was like playin the piano. i wasnt very smooth. lol looks like someone had a very bad day in that one pic with the tree in the cab.

  10. #10Contract Logger2010-03-19 23:38

    Cat 225's with Pierce Boom, Young Boom, and one big Bucyrus Erie!

  11. #11JTL2010-03-20 23:56

    I had no idea those carriers would go that fast! That would be a hell of a ride! I wish now I would have taken some pictures of a brand new 322C Cat mounted on a Pierce carrier I saw a couple years ago. I had thought those things had went by the way of the dinosaur by 2007!

  12. #12Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-04 21:16

    our shovel is a prentice 410ex on one of those carriers. Our carrier has a detroit lol.....can hear him haulin ass from mile's away

  13. #13Ryan Rønning2011-02-12 07:28

    This one that we used to have way back in the day. The little kid is me and thats my dad.

  14. #14HCF2011-02-12 23:02

    When my dad worked for Huffman and Wright in the 80's he worked under an old prentice or bantam. Can't remember. Anyways, operators name was Charlie. Guess they had a haywire drum on his. Said it was great to inch the decks up to the machine when loading right of way. He said it was a great addition.

  15. #15Contract Logger2011-02-12 23:49

    Here's a Koehring 6633 on a 4-Axle Pierce carrier and with 2 Pullmaster model 25H yarding winches on it. A true yard-and-load machine and an ideal setup for salvage type work. Blowdown, farmer-patches, right-of-way loading all are places something like this works just dandy. Get in, yard, load, and get out. Good out to 800 feet or so. As you can see they are using an Acme slackpulling carriage with this one. I took these pics near Tillamook Oregon in 2002. Owner of the rig is Fallon Logging and they have 2 set up like this. Also have 2 large crawler mounted shovels with drumsets. Fallon was running 8 or 9 yarder sides in NW Oregon at the time.

  16. #16rockhaul2011-02-13 02:20

    Ken is still going strong 12-15 sides full bore!!

  17. #17Contract Logger2011-02-13 02:37

    One of my favorite things was to jump in the lowbed and spend half a day with Ken. I have alot of pics of Ken moving machinery- yarders, etc. Was in Lincoln City last Spring and saw Peg but didnt catch up with Ken......frown. I keep thinking he'll scale back but it never seems to happen.

  18. #18tree farmer2011-02-25 19:20

    Dico 166 on skagit carrier Powered by a 4-53 detroit this machine was loader #149 for Weyco longview. It was purchased from Weyco's Eugene surplus yard in 1980. In this 1983 picture it is loading 56 ft wood going by the ton. The 1975 General muletrain trailer was a special order dual purpose unit. Here it is working as a long log trailer. In the last picture you see the results of what gyppo loggers are noted for.

  19. #19lg junior2011-02-28 01:21

    http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae292/TheShortOne234/LGJr%20Logging%20Photos/TrackPrentice.jp heres drott 80 sad excuse for a loader the prentice was a little better I still have one I'll put some more rubber mounts on in while I had a few

  20. #20lg junior2011-02-28 01:28
  21. #21lg junior2011-02-28 01:31
  22. #22Ryan Rønning2011-03-03 15:46

    I need more pictures. This a great thread.

  23. #23Ryan Rønning2011-04-07 12:36

    Found these pics today. Loader is in Quebec some where. Not what we normally post in here but technically meets the requirements.

  24. #24hoechucker2011-04-07 14:15

    C.L. i've ran one just like that in pic 16(almost identical)but it says 6630on the side.had the winch joystick up by the steeringwheel,and they put heavier axles under it after they got tired of breaking the factory ones. i wish my other computer hadn't crashed i've got some good pics of that thing.how many of those were made?

  25. #25hiluxman2011-05-05 23:34

    ever seen a Komatsu on a carrier i remeber seeing in about 1994/95 a new pc300 sitting on a lowbed then they take the tracks off and the boom,cab and put it on a 3 axle carrier and then put on a log loader boom cant belive they did that to a new machine

  26. #26JeremyM702011-06-22 21:28

    Rubber tire Prentice in Tillamook Neat old machine used for firewood processing in Tillamook Oregon.

  27. #27hiluxman2012-08-23 20:20

    look i found its a hitachi uh07 log loader on you tube [video=youtube;KzGvrEwlJxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGvrEwlJxE&feature=plcp[/video]

  28. #28boardbysled2012-09-09 23:12

    Couple rubber tired loaders from N. Idaho. One with what appears to be a custom cab on the truck mount.

  29. #29boardbysled2013-05-20 00:37

    Cat 225 on a rubber tire'd carrier. Saw Livin', Oregon on the side. At Hampton in Darrington, WA.

  30. #30Pixie2013-05-27 19:44

    Not an excavator just a regular loader on a carrier. Would you call this a porter ?